• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Are There Two Types Of Rear Wheel Bearing For Drums?

Obey_R

Ordered a new bearing as per the info on here and reg checkers etc of QWB503. It is the straight bearing which is split in the middle.

When I took my drums off, they left a small tapered bearing on the stub axel and a much smaller than QWB503 bearing, inside the drum. The drums don't look as if they would accept the 503 bearing as the inner face is tapered to mate up properly to the one that is still on the stub axel.

Now do I need to change the drums and hope they are the ones which accept straight bearings, or am I missing something?

Tom Fenton

When you have pulled the drum off, it has left the inner race on the stub axle, and the outer race in the drum. Remove both of these parts and then offer up your new brg again.

Obey_R

Can't remove the double tapered 'outer race' from the drum for love nor money. Tried putting a socket in the middle and all that's happened is I've taken a chunk out of the drum!

I'm also stuck with a car that has a nice new beam, but no rear bearings to move it anywhere! :)

smithy
Can't remove the double tapered 'outer race' from the drum for love nor money. Tried putting a socket in the middle and all that's happened is I've taken a chunk out of the drum!

I'm also stuck with a car that has a nice new beam, but no rear bearings to move it anywhere! :)

It was in august but I seem to remember they come out in 2 pieces?

I used a chisel to knock them out 1 at a time working from hub side of drum,they were tight but with a decent chisel and a good whack they went ok.

Putting new one in I used an old outer race to knock the complete unit in in 1 piece.

Obey_R

The actual bearing is in two peices if that what you mean, but once the bearing pins have come out, I'm left with the outer 'skin' so to speak, which is well and truely wedged in the drum

smithy
The actual bearing is in two peices if that what you mean, but once the bearing pins have come out, I'm left with the outer 'skin' so to speak, which is well and truely wedged in the drum

You have jogged my memory, it is solid outer race with 2 separate taper bearings that have a spring clip between them is that right?

As for the outer race iirc it only cones out one way due to a lip in drum I think it was knocked out from hub side?

Mine was tight but with a decent blunt chisel and a hefty whack it knocked out.try giving it a good soaking with some decent penetrating fluid and have another go tomorrow,probably welded in with some rust.

Obey_R

Yeah that's right - there's a circlip on the outside face of it, got that out but still can't budge the outer race. I'll give it a soak but seeing as one already had a lump out of it - I might as well change them! Mind you, £25 each isn't cheap :)