• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kentish_lad

Something I Have Been Thinking About

kentish_lad

Now as said i have been thinking about how restrictive a torsion bar setup is, and how i can improve on the setup with out too much messing around. So here is my thought what do people think. It might not work but i know people use a similar idea on the old beetles to fit airbags so deck them. Here goes,

So if you were to spin off the splines of both of the shafts and take up free play from removed splines with like a bronze bush with grease nipples drilled and tapped in to keep things moving. Now we have two independently moving arms, instead of putting dampers in where they are meant to go , here's my little mad moment do you think of using like a real hefty motorcycle style coilover damper set up ( sort of like the one in the picture i added ) now do you think this could work, I mean you guys know a lot more about this than i do and maybe with your knowledge somebody could put this into practice or knows of somebody using a similar setup ........ so what do you guys think??? opinions please

post-16399-1295383093.jpg

swordfish210

It's been done before, a friend around the corner from me has a similar setup on his 306.

tomcolinjones

it has been talked about before, afaik colin satchel does a rear coilover setup, but i think this uses turrets welded to the arches.

i dont think you could get bike spring/shocks hard enough.

started post before above was posted

Edited by tomcolinjones

welshpug

Not all of Colin's setups use a turret welded in, but it depends entirely on the regulations the vehicle needs to adhere to, the main issue is the wheel to damper rate and the angle of the damper.

I think they'd work well with just the more upright damper as long as the spring rate from the torsion bar was chosen wisely, though I guess if you've got the damper at a better angle you might a well stick a spring around it to raise the spring rate as they cost a lot less than a torsion bar.

Harry Hockley Motorsport also do a rear suspension arrangement that does away totally with the rear crossmember tube and trailing arms in favour of a tubular steel construction trailing arm, again with an upright coilover damper.

large
Harry Hockley Motorsport also do a rear suspension arrangement that does away totally with the rear crossmember tube and trailing arms in favour of a tubular steel construction trailing arm, again with an upright coilover damper.

Yer, at £3500 each!

Rippthrough
Yer, at £3500 each!

I was talking to welsh about that a few weeks back actually, watch this space, although, you might be watching for a while given my past record :(

Edited by Rippthrough

Batfink

I've already worked out roughly in my head a much cheaper version but the main thing really is to get the turrets in I think so you can get a nice long damper movement. I would be trying to maximise its use in motorsport so theres a few rules and regs that are worth pandering too to aid popularity. Its not like the rear is too heavy compared to the front as theres a heavy bias of weight to the front anyway so I'd rather think up ways to balance the 205 GTI more like the weight distributon of the 309 gti or the 205 XS.

Edited by Batfink

welshpug
I was talking to welsh about that a few weeks back actually, watch this space, although, you might be watching for a while given my past record :(

were you? I can't remember now :D

Batfink; stick a boot on it or remove the boat anchor :P

Batfink
were you? I can't remember now :(

Batfink; stick a boot on it or remove the boat anchor :D

I have an idea involving an anglegrinder :P

Rippthrough
were you? I can't remember now :(

You are welsh, probably daydreaming about sheep at the time :D

foreigner

Funny enough, I am just working on my cheap idea, so let's see who will be first to come up with something.