• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pug Monkey

Rear Beam Info

Pug Monkey

Hi all and Happy New Year to you all and your families.

My 205 Gti (rear disc brake) is up for a rear beam rebuild soon. I have an Si beam (drum brakes) spare. Are the two beams (apart from the brakes) similar? That would give me the chance to rebuild the Si beam without the car being out of action, and then swap them and change the brakes over when the time is right.

I will be following the Wurzel's Rear Beam Refurbishment Guide. These are great articles - I just completed the big brake upgrade and the artical was spot on!

Many thanks

Mark.

welshpug

I'm guessing it'll be an XS spec suspension with singlepoint injected XU5?

i.e Track control arms, 30mm wide rear drums, skinny ARB?

Daviewonder

Quick question. I'm fitting a 309 beam to my 205, is there anything to be gained from fitting the 205 1.9 beam front mounts to the 309 beam?

SurGie

I dont think there is any difference in using the 205 or 309 front mounts, 205 are off set, the 309 is not, just a matter of putting them in the right way round.

I have a quick question too, with the extra width of the 309 beam, will the ends of the beam get in the way of the rear inner wing areas or the beginning of the trailing arms ? ?

jord294

205 gti 1.6 and all 309 have the same crossmember brackets

only the 205 gti 1.9 has the offset studs on the crossmember brackets

i always tend to use standard crossmember brackets when fitting 309 beam to a 205

mhyphenl
205 gti 1.6 and all 309 have the same crossmember brackets

only the 205 gti 1.9 has the offset studs on the crossmember brackets

i always tend to use standard crossmember brackets when fitting 309 beam to a 205

Having scoured my beam brackets that are already on the car I can't see any D or G marks, either I'm lucky and have them on correctly or they're 1.6 brackets, what effect will this have on my car? I've only ever had 2 set of brackets, one of which is the set that got lost on its way to you which were never on my car, could I have been running all this time with the wrong brackets!!

jord294

if i'm totally honest, i don't understand why the 1.9 crossmember brackets are handed ;) but obviously peugeot designed it like that for a reason :P

oh yes, them missing parts that never reached me, i remember now ;)

welshpug

1.9 front brackets are handed because the studs are offset, come on Andy you should have known that one :P

jord294
1.9 front brackets are handed because the studs are offset, come on Andy you should have known that one :P

:lol: i understand that mei, but why are the off set :huh:

welshpug

because the 1.9 tyres are bigger, so they shift the beam a tiny amount to stop them rubbing :lol:

185 60 14 to 185 55 15 is 7mm difference in diameter, most running 15's on 1.6's don't notice because they run the wrong size (i.e 195 50 15) which is nearly 2mm smaller than the 185 60 14.

Edited by welshpug

jord294
because the 1.9 tyres are bigger, so they shift the beam a tiny amount to stop them rubbing :lol:

185 60 14 to 185 55 15 is 7mm difference in diameter, most running 15's on 1.6's don't notice because they run the wrong size (i.e 195 50 15) which is nearly 2mm smaller than the 185 60 14.

i had an idea it was something like that, but wasn't 100% sure