• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alex205vtr

Rallye Arches

Alex205vtr

Right,

Its time to take the plunge and get some Rallye arches.

I've seen a few on ebay, but as with most things on ebay... I'm a little sceptical!

I've had a look around and seen some on fastcarspares.com... they talk of kevlar (bullet proof???) arches with the wing as one piece etc but quite expensive...

Has anyone got a set from ebay? Where they ok? Fit as they should?

Or is it a case of 'you get what you pay for' ?

Pictures would be great!

Cheers, Alex

tomcolinjones

forum member Allye has got some very nice ones, look for his thread

Alex205vtr
forum member Allye has got some very nice ones, look for his thread

Agreed! Ebay it is!

pugpete1108

mine are ebay ones and they were a pretty good fit tbh.

only required a little shaving to make them fit well.

HPIM3298.jpg

Edited by pugpete1108

CallumCurwood

Mine were off ebay and were quite a good fit. Easy way I found of fitting them is tigerseal on the wing and insdide of the arches. After that some locktite superglue around the top of the rallye arches to make em nice and tight ;)

Look at my project thread, they is pictures on there ;)

backroadpug

I got a set of fle bay also but mine were so miss fitting rather than having to shave them down i had to build them up to sit flush

Cameron

Eww.. couldn't you have bonded the arches on rather than using fasteners? ;)

I used sikaflex on mine, they're still there 4 years later. ;)

un numero d'or

There is a guy on the Polish 205 forum that makes those! I sold two sets to Sweden and the guys where happy with them so if you are interested let me know.

djvu205

what are they going on? gti or base model? i brought some from ebay of hifibreracebodywork. they are a little thing in spots but will fix up easy. they are a really good fit but the rears are not really what i wanted. i was hoping to get the ones that sit higher up the rear quarter and the body needs cutting on the base model for extra wheel clearance. im running c5 steeloys on a base model xu 205. not sure what you call them there? i was told its hit and miss with ebay and arches. they were cheap at 60 quid i thought. freight was the killer ;) would post some pics but cant seem to work out how to. it ask me for url:/ ? my pics are on my harddrive

Cameron
There is a guy on the Polish 205 forum that makes those! I sold two sets to Sweden and the guys where happy with them so if you are interested let me know.

How much? Mine are quite badly chipped now so I could do with another set.

allye

As above, it is hit and miss. Mine were more than £60 though and were a very good fit. But don't use super glue like CallumCurwood! That will rip the paint off if you ever take them off, use silkaflex its great stuff and all you need is one tube.

I have taken mine off to be re-sprayed (along with the front end of the Rallye), this time I will be applying some protection to the bottom half od the arches as they already chipped after only 8 months and a couple thousand miles. I asked about this on here a few weeks back with some good solutions.

brumster

Aye... £60 jobbies here, fit great. Another long-standing fan of Sikaflex :-

img_1968.jpg

Alex205vtr

Excellent!

Ebay for the arches, a tube of silkaflex and the worlds most accurate arch cutting to give enough clearance for the 309 beam at the back...

(will post pics of the impending disaster after I've stopped crying about it :D )

Allye I did read your thread about protecting the arches, think its a must for me as after the snow, the roads around here resemble a rally stage!

Cheer all,

Alex

allye
Excellent!

Ebay for the arches, a tube of silkaflex and the worlds most accurate arch cutting to give enough clearance for the 309 beam at the back...

(will post pics of the impending disaster after I've stopped crying about it :D )

Allye I did read your thread about protecting the arches, think its a must for me as after the snow, the roads around here resemble a rally stage!

Cheer all,

Alex

+ some paint! I used four of those claps in the last picture. Got them from the market tool bloke (I sure every town has one of these guys!) for about £1 each and did the aches one at a time. Also you'll need lots of cloths (pref the blue thins ones a little wet) to get a clean finish inbetween the arch and the wing.

brumster

To be honest I find with sikaflex it's easier to leave the overfill to 'expunge' out when you stick the arch on, leave it for a few hours to set, and then simply run it with a stanley blade and pull it off in one great big strip. If you're not spraying the wing, be careful not to damage the paint (maybe the above process is a better bet in these cases, or use masking tape on the base panel beforehand).

pugpete1108
Eww.. couldn't you have bonded the arches on rather than using fasteners? :D

I used sikaflex on mine, they're still there 4 years later. :)

i did try and use a type of silkaflex but it turned out poo and the arches fell off. (even after the 24hrs curing)

so i got the hump and screwed them on for the mot and havent got round to sorting them properly yet.

its on the list of thing to do :)

brumster

I suspect you've figured this, but there is Sikaflex and there are generic sealant-type things. Sikaflex really is quite special. It's flexible and serves as a sealant, but it's also specifically for bonding things together - and it does it incredibly well for all sorts of materials. I'm sure if you tried the genuine article next time you'd get better results. I've kept my eye out over the years for something that does the same job for less, but after 15 years I still haven't found anything (well, in truth, I've given up - I just Sikaflex 221 and nothing else any more!).

Bigtimmy

Brumster, have you found or tried 3M 4200FC, I have been using it in the boating world since I was a kid.

It's cheaper than Sikaflex, who I think charge due to the name, and does the same job.

I think I pay about £5 a tube wholesale.

pugpete1108
I suspect you've figured this, but there is Sikaflex and there are generic sealant-type things. Sikaflex really is quite special. It's flexible and serves as a sealant, but it's also specifically for bonding things together - and it does it incredibly well for all sorts of materials. I'm sure if you tried the genuine article next time you'd get better results. I've kept my eye out over the years for something that does the same job for less, but after 15 years I still haven't found anything (well, in truth, I've given up - I just Sikaflex 221 and nothing else any more!).

it was a pu type bonder bought as a "bodykit adheisive" and it wasnt that cheap tbh but it just didnt stick. put it this way i even used it to bond the rear quarter badges on and after a week or so even these fell off :D

now there are fixed i am going to fill the gap between the arch and the wing with some glass fibre filler stuff and then remove the screws and that should do it, very permanent but hey

brumster
Brumster, have you found or tried 3M 4200FC, I have been using it in the boating world since I was a kid.

It's cheaper than Sikaflex, who I think charge due to the name, and does the same job.

I think I pay about £5 a tube wholesale.

I haven't, no - I'll look out for it. Shopping around I think the cheapest I bought the last batch of 221 was around £8-9 a tube... but thanks for the tip, maybe I'll try some when I run out of this load of 221...

Cheers :D

Alex205vtr

After hearing about Sikaflex, and its now cult like following, I don't think anything else would do!

This project of mine started out as a 1988 1.1 GR four speed in silver bronze (which is rare and looks stunning when looked after) on 63k with full service history! I paid £155 for it with tax and mot, 4 new khumo tyres, rallye wheels, coilovers and the wider xsara (?) wishbones.

It was supposed to be a "uni run-around" but after upgrades and mods like electric windows, 309 rear beam, remote central looking, power steering... oh and an engine transplant.... I couldn't bring myself to use anything that would not do a first rate job!