• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dam

Brakes On 1.9 Gti

dam

The rear brakes on my 1.9 failed the mot because they didn't work. I bought a seal kit, stripped them down and cleaned it all up and new pads. All seemed fine for a couple of weeks and passed the mot but now they are binding and pretty much stuck on. What might be causing this?

Also the whole system seems to be pulling in air as they pedal keeps going a bit spongy but I cant see any leaks. All the solid pipe has been repalced from the bottom of the bulk head back. Is it likely to be the master cylinder and how do you test it on these?

BusEngineer

It sounds like a master cylinder problem to me.

Sorry if this sounds very un-scientific but if it looks old and horrible it probably is old and horrible! :lol: most of our cars are well over 20 years old and some parts are not woth risking, especially brakes. Master cylinders are relatively inexpensive when you consider how expensive complete brake failure would be :)

If i was in your position, id change it for peace of mind. i would have thought this would sort the spongy brakes problem.

Edited by BusEngineer

dam

Yeah I think your probably right there. I had a 1.6 years ago and the master failed causing brake failure while the missus was driving. I learnt my lesson after that and always kept the life insurance up to date :ph34r:

Any ideas why the rear brakes might have gone from no braking effect to stuck on?

j_turnell

Sounds like it could well be the rear compensators to me and/or possibly a combination of that and a duff MC.

Edited by j_turnell

Tom Fenton

Master cylinder knackered and not returning properly is my vote, because it does not return it locks pressure in the rear lines which is why you are finding the rear brakes are dragging. As has been said it is a good investment on a 205 if you don;t know the history of the old one in any case. Start soaking all the unions in penetrating oil NOW though to give you a decent chance of getting them undone in a week or so without shearing/twisting brake pipes.

dam

Cheers guys. Thanks for the tip on the unions although for the sake of a few quid I may just renew it all anyway as its it's all new from the bulkhead back.