• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
burr_2000

Front Brake Query For Track Use

burr_2000

Just now i use 1.6 gti front brake setup on my 1360cc track car, which are really good. Since i never ran the car on the standard discs and calipers how good can the standard setup be? i am thinking about unsprung weight saving on the driving wheels by switching back.

Tom Fenton

Assuming you are using the Bendix alloy 1600 calipers, these are pretty much identical to the base model calipers, so the only weight saving I think you would make is by going from vented discs back to solids. But not sure I would advise this, so stick with what you have.

burr_2000

i think i have the 1.6 calipers, is there a big difference between 1.9 and 1.6? i have the standard calipers and discs, so going to compare the weights. the max time i do in the sprints and climbs is about 2 minutes, was wondering if could get same stopping power with drilled and groved solid discs and decent pads, but all depending on weight loss.

Tom Fenton

The 1.6 and 1.9 calipers are totally different, the 1.9 Girling have a bulky cast iron caliper and cast iron seperate carrier, the Bendix 1.6 are an alloy bodied caliper with a small cast iron carrier.

From memory the base model stuff is the same as the Bendix 1.6 GTI but with a narrower pad carrier to suit the thinner solid disc.

For what you do it sounds like you may get away with a solid disc, up to you to weigh up if the work and cost outlay is worth the (probably small) weight saving.

burr_2000

Tom i think i have 1.9 calipers as they are much bulkier :) , will check when back home. cheers bud

burr_2000

from what i have found so far Bendix front caliper=2.2kgs, Girling front caliper=3.8kgs, 1.9 disc=4.3kgs, now to weigh solid disc and standard uk rallye caliper. anyone know the 1.6 disc weight?

Edited by burr_2000

welshpug

from the textar online catalogue,

1.6 disk - 4.35 kg, 44.3mm height.

1.9 disk 4.15 kg, 34.2mm height.

Base model solid disc - 3.1 Kg's, 34mm height.

burr_2000
from the textar online catalogue,

1.6 disk - 4.35 kg, 44.3mm height.

1.9 disk 4.15 kg, 34.2mm height.

Base model solid disc - 3.1 Kg's, 34mm height.

hmm very interesting,cheers for that :D

burr_2000

i do have girling, i could save about 3kgs per corner.

Batfink

I ran a 205 rallye trackday car and it was mostly happy on standard calipers and solid discs despite running fancy coilovers and trackday tyres.

That had uprated pads only.