• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

New Wheels And Tyres Steering All Over The Place

davey205

Having recently put some 1.9 alloys and new tyres on, getting them balanced aligned etc the car seems to want to go all over the road. What should the correct pressure be for a 185/55/15 tyre on a 1.9 rim be?

welshpug

says on the door :) 28 IIRC.

give it a few more miles, most tyres will need some scrubbing in and will improve over the first few hundred miles.

some like michelins take a long time to scrub in.

Anthony

Something around 29psi all round would be a good starting point.

davey205

Ok, thanks for the replies, the man at Setyres said they couldn't balance 1.6 alloys, something to do with no flat centre point?!? But I thought it was flat in the middle so I'm a bit confused as usual.

Anyway just waiting for some snow / ice now to put these babies to the test. :)

Edited by davey205

Anthony

1.6 alloys don't have a removable center cap, and thus can't be balanced conventionally. 1.9 wheels do have a removable cap, and hence aren't an issue.

Most larger places *can* balance 1.6 alloys, but they're frequently too lazy to fit the adaptor to the machine in order to do so.

Henry Yorke
Most larger places *can* balance 1.6 alloys, but they're frequently too lazy to fit the adaptor to the machine in order to do so.

And the average monkey who works there does not know how it works and therefore the balancing is all over the shop.....

davey205

Well that was revealing went to check the air one wheel had 34psi, two 32, another 26, the monkies have also managed to scratch the wheels and I heard one of them say "what a piece of s*it Peugeot how olds that? like 30 yrs?" To one of his colleagues.

At least they didn't try to sell me a battery or shock absorbers or claim to find any nasties with the brakes or exhaust.

Anyway it feels much better now they are all running 29 PSI, and I'm sure as they wear in it will improve still further.

Anthony

I'd suggest finding another place to get your work done - as a general rule, I tend to avoid the large chains and take my car to smaller, local backstreet tyre fitters, who'll usually take alot more care and offer a better service.