• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andy0075

Best Setup For My Racecar

andy0075

Hi !

How would you set up my front suspension ?

Car is built for sprint races and tarmac rallye.

What i have :

Bilstein dampers all around tarmac use ( front coilovers with 350lb/in springs, car 30mm lowered front and back )

fully adjustable wishbones

adjustable topmounts ( the excentric one )

front anti roll bar either from a 205 GTI 1.9 or a 309 GTI 16V

rear with 23mm torsion bars, 25mm anti roll bar

Slick tyres Dunlop 205/555/15 on 7*15" rim, front medium, rear soft

front CAMBER = ?

front CASTOR = ?

front toe in or out = ?

Regards,

Andy

www.peugeot-racing.at.tf

j_turnell

A lot of the settings are personal preference tbh and come down to your driving style. What rear trailingarms are you using? as the standard arms dont give much camber and toe, unless your using the gti16 arms that is.. Your best off doing a few shake downs to experiement with a few things, i'd give 2 1/2 degs of camber, between 4-5degs of caster and a maybe 5-10mins of toe out a go and see how you get on. Its also worth looking at the ride height as this shouldnt be over looked as it greatly affects your geometry, wishbones should be level ideally. There are a few pinned topics in the suspension section which you may want to look at.

Tom Fenton

Castor I would aim for 5 deg, see how much you are able to get with your setup.

Camber try 2.5 deg negative, then really you would need to look at tyre temps across the width to see where to go from there.

Toe is a personal thing and everyone is different, I would suggest it needs to be toe out but you will need to experiment to see what suits you, and also what suits whatever diff you have.

brumster

Very, very similar to my setup of a few years back.

Castor I can't comment on, mine was never accurately set (I know, I know...)

I only ran about 1.5deg negative camber, really just from personal preference and all a desire to not have to worry about driveshafts and wear, but really it was just following what others had told me. With my new build imminent, I might try a little more.

Toe I definately agree with a fraction of toe-out *IF* you're running big torque/power. Otherwise parallel might be fine - this ties in with so many other things like diff setup that it's really down to personal preference again, like Tom says.

Cameron

Why only if you're running big power? Toe-out will sharpen up the turn-in response massively, so is a good thing for all power levels. It is personal preference though, some people don't like the car to feel twitchy so will end up going slower.

You're quite limited with castor, so just run as much as you can while achieving your desired camber.

As for camber, I'd go with Tom's suggestion. Those tyres you have are very similar to the ones I'm researching at the moment (only 5mm wider) and they will cope very well with static camber. 2.5 degrees is a good starting point.

andy0075

@ALL

THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS !

That helps me a lot to make an initial setup for my car and improve it while racing a view sprint's !

At the rear i have original trailing arms and i use a Quaife diff.

Power will be about 200 HP with a real short gearbox ( GTI gearbox + 5.2 crown wheel )

Does anyone now how much castor the original 205 1.9 GTI has ?

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andy0075

Rich_p

Taken from this site

Models 1.6 upto 1988 1.9 upto 1988 all models

from 1988 on

Front Wheels

Toe setting 2.0 ± 1.0 mm / 0°19’ ± 10’ 2.5 ± 1.0 mm 1.0 ± 1.0 mm

Camber 0° ± 30’

Kingpin inclination

(no correction possible) 10°55’ ± 30’

Caster 3°15’ ± 30’

Rear Wheels

Toe angle 3.6 ± 1.5 mm / 0°35’ ± 14’

Camber (no corr. possible) -0°50’ ± 30’

Miles

Couple of points, Ditch the ATB for a plate type, You'll find a massive improvement and fit a 30mm rear ARB

andy0075

Hello,

Short question just to get a feeling for the figure.

When i set the front wheels to about 2° neg. camber how much

mm do i have to alter the excentic top mount to the back or the

wheels to the front with the wishbones to achive 5° castor ?

regards,

Andy

andy0075

No one an idea ?

Than i will set the top mount 10mm to the back (maximum) and the tyre 10mm to the front befor

i go to the garage to adjust it to the final figures ( 2° camber, 5° castor, 1mm toe out )

When i set the suspension to this will i get problems with the steering linkage that it is to short ?

Will the drive shafts from the 205GTI be ok, or are they also too short ?

Maybe i can get one from a 309 GTI if it is necessary .

Regards,

Andy

Tom Fenton

Every car is different, you will have to measure the castor and then adjust as reqd. You may find you struggle to get as much castor as you would like.