• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

Will Eastman

Are you getting the tubes lazer cut for the end profiling.

Cameron

No it's all done with a grinder and flap-disc, I think I explained my shortcut to profiling a few pages back if you're interested.

Will Eastman

Ah fair does, why would you go for that method over laser cutting? Is it purely because of cost.

I only say this because we got our chassis tubes laser cut in the formula student team im part of, meant that 4 of us were able to get all the tubes tacked in place in a day.

Cameron

A couple of reasons really, just through experience more than anything else. The roll hoops are an unknown to a certain extent as it's difficult to know their exact dimensions in the shell, so I preferred not to work to them, but also that you have the potential for a stack-up on errors when you don't do the final profiles individually; so if you get one tube slightly in the wrong place you then carry that error over to all tubes you subsequently fit. My FS team found this out the hard way when the previous year's car was 10mm shorter on one side's wheelbase to the other. :lol:

Cost is also a factor in it, but the biggest by far is just that I'm uncomfortable relying too heavily on CAD on a build such as this.

Cameron

So this was pretty tedious to set up. :lol:

DSC02961.jpg

• Like 1

Rippthrough

There's also the problem with laser cut tubes in that the end of the tube is full of hard nitrides, which you have to grind off anyway.

Cameron

Not a bad way to spend a Monday morning actually.. :D

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02964.jpg

• Like 1

kyepan

keep it up, looking good!

refresh my memory, is the front bodywork going to be a clamshell? or are the wings and bonnets going to be mounted independently?

Cheers

J

Cameron

Front bodywork will be a clamshell, mounted up by the windscreen / doors and supported by the floor. :)

johniban

Its coming together nicely by the looks of it! glad to see someone doing it properly and not throwing it together :)

madspikes

I've been doing a huge amount of CAD work the past couple of weeks, making sure all my suspension components fit properly and have enough clearance, as well as making sure there's enough angular movement in my balljoints to allow for the travel. I've also done all my CAE and tested all the components for strength under cornering, braking, acceleration and bump. There's been a lot of fiddly back and forth between FEA and CAD software, tweaking bits here and there, and my front and rear uprights got a pretty hefty overhaul. Now I have a complete suspension package that I'm 100% happy with and ready to build! :D

Some pics:

ChassisAssembly1.png

ChassisAssembly2.png

This means I can start ordering the various machined parts I'll need while I finish up the chassis.

Stuff the 205 shell... Just keep it like this, I would!

Fantastic project, awesome work.

Mad

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

I think I agree with mad, I think you've got to the point where a 205 shaped shell could be more of a hinderance than a help (as much as a want to see a carbon front end!)

alexcrosse

tubes aren't aerodynamic, a 205 'berg cup' style shell would be, and also tie in more with the regs and potential for saloon libre class.

johnnyboy666

ahh so does it have to have the silhouette of an existing road car (I don't know what the regs are for what you use). I realise tubes aren't aerodynamic, I was thinking a different, non 205-shaped clamshell type affair

Cameron

The regs don't stipulate having an original silhouette, but I don't think they'd be too keen on me racing a naked space-frame around! :lol:

I want to make it a 205 anyway, so a 205 it will stay! :D

• Like 1

GeorgeXS

This means I can start ordering the various machined parts I'll need while I finish up the chassis.

Any CAD shots whilst we wait?

• Like 1

Cameron

Yeah I'll do a big CAD update once I've got everything finished.. maybe at the weekend.

johniban

I agree totally keep it a 205 base :)

madspikes

Just such a shame to cover up the fantastic engineering... Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt say no to having a space frame 205 in my garage!

Mad.

stu8v

Looks like someone has already built a 206 version

Cameron

f*** me that thing likes going sideways, doesn't it! :lol:

Loads of that sort of thing in European hillclimbs, a lot more people spending a lot more money than here in the UK!