• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

Cameron

Which other one, the Miami?

Read the post above :P which says I'm only using the diff and stub axles, the rest of the axle won't be any good to me as it'll be double wishbones.

jamie_1992

not sure if you covered it and i missed it but what engine are you planning on using and do you have a bhp figure in mind?

Cameron

2.0 Duratec, either turbocharged to ~350bhp or N/A to 270bhp depending on how broke I am after the chassis. :lol:

jamie_1992

is that going to be the engine out the mk1 focus rs

my mate had a 400bhp mk1 that was an animal and sounded awesome

Cameron

It'll be out of a Mondeo / Galaxy. I have a dummy engine for the chassis build but will most likely bin it when I'm finished and grab another one. There's such a huge amount of options when using this engine that I can get very good results out of my fairly modest budget.

Mad Scientist

Don't underestimate the cost of a serious engine Cam!

Looking good. Did you consider a subaru rear end at all? I believe they are quite well mounted on a neat subframe.

Cameron

I didn't, only because I want to go 100% custom on this build and the Subrau rear diff is HUUUUGE! :lol:

I know what you mean about the engine costs, but I'm pumping a huge amount of £££ and time developing the rolling chassis (I'm a suspension systems engineer y'see!) so if I want to get it racing in 2014 which is still the aim, I'll need to be sensible about cost. I could build a really serious engine but it would cost as much or more than the rest of the car and I'd be saving for years, so I'll be reigning it in to start with, there can always be development later!

johniban

yay more progress, this is my favorite build on here by far, keep up the good work fella! :)

Cameron

Thanks chap! I'm happy to report - more progress! :D

First up, I treated myself to a set of work boots as my old ones weren't exactly very tough. No more hotrock burns for me!

DSC02888.jpg

Yesterday I set about finishing the jig for the main hoop bracing.

DSC02886.jpg

Then today I put it all in! :D

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

2 tubes left and the back end is done!

Edited by Cameron
  • Like 1

welshpug

Time to get tiggy with it :D

• Like 1

Cameron

Nearly! :D I need to get a water cooler for my machine first, hopefully early in the new year!

cybernck

Are you going to remove any more of the original bodywork or is the "amount of 205" final as it is?

Cameron

Yeah everything except the door apertures and windscreen frame is being removed! I'll chop the back end off before I go to weld round all the tube to improve access a bit.

cybernck

Are you going to make the rest out of fibreglass then?

Or perhaps I've missed the point and end-result is not going to look like a 205 at all?

Cameron

Carbon fibre clamshells, my good man.

pugdamo

I didn't realise this could get anymore interesting,looking forward to the body stages,very long way away i know but looking forward to it.

Great project :D

Sandy

I still have reservations about the wisdom of the engine choice (given how free your options are); but I should say that the bravado, commitment and execution of this project are admirable :)

• Like 1

Cameron

Thanks Sandy. :)

It's probably because I'm a chassis man that the engine choice seems a little strange, as most of my thinking goes into that. Mr Crosse has done a good job of persuading me to go down the forced induction route so hopefully it should be more than adequate!

Batfink

Its hardly going to need anything ground breaking engine wise to be seriously fast. How about a 1.4 TU engine lol

• Like 2

Anthony

Sorry if I missed it in amongst the other updates/replies/noise, but you mentioned a few posts above that you're planning to race it?

What sort of competition are you aiming for, and what class is this going to fit in and be suitable / competitive? I'm guessing that it's going to be some variation of Sports Libre given that it's a spaceframed silhouette with a non-standard engine head/block, non-standard suspension type/pickups, and now will talk of turbocharging? :unsure:

EdCherry

It would come under Silhouette or Sportsproto classes in my experience.

Cameron

Kev - that's my thinking! 600kg with driver is the target and I'm looking pretty good for it at the mo, even with a very achievable 300bhp would be pretty bloody fast!

Anthony - Yeah it's being built for Sports Libre hillclimbs, the regs don't go into much detail other than safety so everything else is pretty much a free-for-all. I've been very careful to consult MSA Technical about my chassis design so hopefully there won't be any surprises! Libre has some very interesting and very competitive saloons that I'll be keen to race with, one of which is basically an Impreza with a Clio body. :lol:

Edited by Cameron

johniban

600kg! crikey thats light.

What steel tubing are you using? i would of thought it would be pretty heavy as there is quite alot of it.

Cameron

I'm using a range of sizes, but only the mandated tubes are the heavy gauge stuff, the rest is no thicker than 1.63mm. The space-frame weighs in at around 100kg, something like 120kg with the remaining bits of shell and a bit more once I have all the brackets on. That's not much lighter than a standard shell, but the real weight savings come from being able to use very lightweight suspension components instead of the heavy OE beam / subframe etc.. and the fact that the rest of the build will be extremely minimal!

Juttie205

loving this great build real credit to you.