• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

Cameron

Yeah pretty much. :lol:

The back is the least of my worries at the mo, started having physio for it then my ribs and shoulders fell to pieces so trying to get that sorted at the mo! Going back to just having a slightly dodgy back would be blissful to be honest! :lol:

ricdat

Also.. Stag Land has a lathe! :D

That is the same as my lathe! .... except mine has an extra cover or two. Only last Wednesday I had a truck move it from my old house (sold 5 weeks ago) to my new shed.

alexcrosse

I have the cover for the end and the rear splash tray too, just not bolted on in that picture.

johniban

looks like a big expensive lathe!

johniban

what you going to be making with that?

Cameron

All sorts, we both have a tonne of things to make! Alex is gonna give it some TLC first though. :)

johnnyboy666

how much did you spend on it?

Cameron

A gentleman never tells! But it was very reasonably priced for what it is! :D

alexcrosse

I paid enough for it... its a lot of money, but cheap for what it is. Luckily saved on transport too by using a 1.8 tonne engine crane and a van. Couriers would have charged between 150-200.

First thing to make is a housing for my spherical bearing in my bulkhead. After an oil change and some paint!

Cameron

Yarp, hopefully we can get a similar bargain on a Bridgeport eh? :lol:

alexcrosse

wait for certain companies to go bankrupt and buy them for scrap value...

davenport

with the cost of CNC mills and there productivity over the old school handle crankers, there are always bargain Bridgeports out there as long as they have DROs on them there fine for 99% of little jobs imo...

nice lather BTW, i have a slightly smaller, but a newer model Bantam....

alexcrosse

Yer we will definately be getting a DRO when we get a mill. Trying to stop myself buying one for the colchester =p

Cameron

Seen quite a few Bridgeports go on eGay, missed one for £700 with a DRO the other day, that would have been nice!

welshpug

What's a DRO?

davenport

Yer we will definately be getting a DRO when we get a mill. Trying to stop myself buying one for the colchester =p

haha is your lathe metric or imperial???

haz911

Just read this build from the very start over the past 2 days while at work (Took a fair few hours!). Amazing work and skills - Hats off to you!! A fair few hours have gone into this build but it's definately worth it....

Will be keeping an eye on this :)

Cameron

Thank you sir!

A long overdue update.. albeit a pretty small one. I picked up a complete Sierra Cosworth rear axle yesterday for a bit of a bargain price, considering it also turned out to have an LSD! ^_^ I went down to strip it today but ran into problems almost immediately as I don't have a socket big enough for the hub nuts.

Cosworth parts:

DSC02881.jpg

I'll be keeping the diff housing and the stub axles / drive flanges, and flogging the rest. The 7" diff is just what I need as it only weighs 25.7kg. :)

So as I couldn't go any further with that I fitted a couple of tubes to the space-frame and started making a jig for the main hoop bracing, not a huge amount but it's better than nothing!

DSC02880.jpg

• Like 1

alexcrosse

ill bring a big socket down tomorrow brah.

brumster

Shame, I've got a 6.5" diff here out of a conventional Sierra that's even lighter (they're a bit rare as most were the 7") but you'd never squeeze a plate diff in it and you're stuck with a 3.65:1 ratio on it. And it's push-in shafts. When you figure out what length propshaft you need let me know, I've still got the one kicking about here out of a 7 that I don't really need.

Cameron

Alex - You're still down there tonight, right? Need you and your engine crane as we have 600kg of fly presses arriving! :lol:

Brum - Yeah I did look into the 6.5" but as you say it's not really very flexible.. ~26kg is light enough I think and it has Lobro joints and a huuuuuuuge range of FDR! :)

crossie

Great Project

How much too wide is the cossy rear end or should it fit without modifications

crossie

@Cameron you still got your other 205 or have you sold it?