• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

kyepan

that took me a while... filthy.

brumster

Oh My Lord. Reminds me of the joke "What's the similarity between an Audi and a clitoris".....

Cameron

Haha feel free to design me a logo, probably difficult to be subtle with a name like Mufftech though. :D

kyepan

Probably difficult to be subtle with a name like Mufftech though. :D

Not that hard.

MuffTechracing.png

cheers

J

Edited by kyepan

Cameron

I quite like that, but you left out the dots..! :D

Cameron

So.. you'll have to forgive me if this update seems slightly trivial, but it's been nearly a month since I've been down to the unit so this is kind of a big deal for me! I've been down there for an hour or every other evening this week as that's pretty much all I can manage at the moment, and today I finished up getting the main hoop backstays in. These are some of the most hassly joints on the frame as they join to the main hoop half way round a bend, so it's nigh-on impossible to get the CAD roll-out perfect.. I opted to profile them manually (and very carefully) instead and they came out real nice.

Anyway, without further ado.. pics.

DSC02760.jpg

DSC02761.jpg

DSC02765.jpg

DSC02755.jpg

For some reason it feels like much more progress than just 2 measly tubes! :lol: I guess it's because they tie the parts together so it's more visually striking. Anyway.. who cares. I'm pretty happy with it. :D

Edited by Cameron
  • Like 2

camgti

Looks great Cam,

Its importent to keep plugging away at these things to keep momentum. Its easy to become complacent and just wait about until big things happen. So hats off for keeping at it. Thanks for the update!

Cam

dale205mills

Very nice my friend, keep the up dates coming. :D

Tesstuff

Damn it!! I keep clicking on this thread thinking I will be seeing the latest news on Sandy's 205!!

Very misleading thread title Cameron, can you change it? :unsure:

• Like 1

Cameron

Has Baz hacked your account or something? :P

• Like 1

alexcrosse
tumblr_l44b00XFUV1qatctgo1_500.jpg
  • Like 1

Cameron

MOAR! :D

So for anyone interested, this is how I've been making my tube profiles and is one of the huge benefits of using CAD.

First off, I've used some computer wizardry to extract the surfaces of each tube, then printed them out 100% scale..

DSC02775.jpg

This then gets wrapped around some tube of the appropriate size..

DSC02776.jpg

And I profile the ends to match. HOWEVER, it's not that simple! It would be wonderful if it was, but it isn't. :lol:

DSC02777.jpg

DSC02779.jpg

You can see that with the profile being cut to the tube surface it doesn't account for the thickness of the material, so every one needs to be manually finished so that it fits perfectly. Eventually it does..

DSC02780.jpg

So after spending a couple of hours down there either side of Quali / the GP this weekend, I have the lower rear load path finished.

Yesterday:

DSC02766.jpg

Today:

DSC02782.jpg

DSC02783.jpg

DSC02784.jpg

:D

• Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

Really inspiring project! If it was posible to get these builds road-legal over here I almost would have started one myself :)

cybernck

Luckily for you - it isn't! :lol:

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

Luckily for you - it isn't! :lol:

*luckily for your wallet!

Cameron

It gives me great pleasure to say that after another 3 weeks of time off feeling sorry for myself I decided it was time to get back at it, and have spent a couple of hours working on the car this weekend. I can't tell you how good it is to get something done and get things moving forwards again :D.

I had to do a bit of fiddling to get this diagonal in as it was impossible to fit with both the backstays in place, so I had to remove one of them first - not a big deal as they were only tacked in. I've also had to do lots of welding to make sure the first lot of tubes are fully welded before the next lot go in, so that all the joints are fully welded and the frame is as strong as it should be. That's not a big deal either, I love welding. ^_^

DSC02787.jpg

With that diagonal in I could make a start on the upper load path and have got the most fiddly part done - it's really starting to take shape now!

DSC02793.jpg

Next I'll be finishing the X by adding the other diagonal, and once that's in and welded I can start on the upper load path for t'other side. The load paths are the most fiddly parts to make, as they need to be accurately placed and float in space; once they're done it's just a matter of adding in the triangulation so progress will increase quickly!

Edited by Cameron
  • Like 1

dave richards

nice progress :) are you tig welding the entire frame?

Cameron

Sure am! :)

Anything that's new steel, anyway.. anything joining to the shell will be MIG welded.

shalmaneser

This is going to be one stiff futher mucker.

Looking good - but weld faster! Need more updates!

• Like 1

dave richards

using a foot pedal? i find tig easy but positional welding is an arse sometimes this was a git to weld (class 5 autograss car)

DSC_0046.jpg

Cameron

Yeah I don't have a thumb switch on my torch at the moment but I pretty much exclusively use the foot pedal anyway as it makes everything much quicker, plus I have a variety of different thicknesses in some joints so it means I don't have to constantly adjust the machine.

This arrived today - NOM NOM NOM! :D

DSC02797_zps57b9e136.jpg

• Like 2

dave richards

nice :) bmx wheels in the background?

welshpug

24" jump bike by the looks of them, too big for BMX.

ever tempted to make your own bike Cam? my brother has just chopped up and old Townsend Reynolds 501 MTB frame to make a bicycle polo steed :D

Cameron

Yep they're BMX wheels, your eyes deceive you! :P

Putting that thing back together and going for a ride is down on my to-do list.. waaaay way down at the moment. :lol:

Yeah I've thought about it, my mate keeps hassling me to start making BMX frames, so it might be something I try at some point.