• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

Batfink

so will the wheels be tucked really high in the arches?

Cameron

I'll be chopping a fair bit out of the quarters to make clearance and fitting some arch extensions, the top of the tyre will be about where the top of the standard inner wheelarch is. It's a similar story up front. :lol:

Cameron

Today I are been mostly..

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

And then started to jig up the front panel, as I want to use this to position the wings once I've chopped the whole front end off. :)

IMAG0207.jpg

And that's all for now.. I'll be in Belgium for most of this week, then it's my birthday at the weekend, then I'm on holiday. Tata for now!

Edited by Cameron

Cameron

Been busying myself on the front end today.. first of all finishing off the jig for the front panel, then removing the wings. Wing #1 came off very cleanly, I was super patient and everything! Wing #2 didn't go quite so well.. I sliced my finger on a razor-sharp edge and in a fit of rage tore it off and threw it across the unit. :lol:

Anyway, wings are cheap.. I'll get another one later.

DSC02664.jpg

With that done, I removed the front panel veeeeeeeeery carefully as I want it all in one piece for later!

DSC02667.jpg

And then had some fun with my favourite tool. CHOPPY CHOPPY TIME. :D

DSC02673.jpg

DSC02674.jpg

Then checked that my front panel jig works - it does. ^_^

DSC02677.jpg

DSC02679.jpg

Fin.

I'm gonna spend a bit of time trimming out all the bits of panel I don't need, then will tidy everything up and join the A-pillar hoops to the door surrounds etc etc. When that's done I'll be ready to start putting the space-frame in. B)

• Like 1

rallyeash

fair play.

cRaig

Awesome :D Looking forward to more!

shalmaneser

You should weigh the remaining bit of 205 then you can inform people (when the project is complete) exactly what %age of Peugeot (by weight) is left!

Looking good, BTW!!!

Cameron

Thanks! Yeah I've been weighing all the bits I take off as I go along, some 36kg came out of the rear and each side of the front end was about 15kg, I reckon I'll easily have under 50kg of original shell left at the end of it. :)

wicked

What about welding that roof on a caterham??

*job done*

:D :D

• Like 2

Cameron

Somehow I don't think that would work. :lol:

Cameron

Was busy again on Sunday trimming down what was left of the front end, tidying everything up and removing some unwanted metalwork, an awful lot of chopping and drilling later and I was left with this:

DSC02683.jpg

DSC02684.jpg

Then made up some little patches and welded them in to blank everything off.

DSC02685.jpg

DSC02686.jpg

That's pretty much it for the front end, I just need to seam weld the end cap of the sills and reinforcement rails then it's all done and on to the rear.

• Like 1

24seven

Just to echo someone's comments earlier in the thread, this seems like an awful lot of effort without going that extra little step and building a single seater. With your obvious CAD knowledge and from working in Formula Student I reckon you could build a fairly competitive machine for the 750 Formula.

calvinhorse

I'll answer this cam...

Single seaters look s*it.

Wide bodied 205s look awesome

It's that simple :D

• Like 1

24seven
:lol: True, but those 750F's don't half shift! Only 80bhp but only 350kg as well. Around Donington they weren't much slower than the F4 cars when we were there last year.
  • Like 2

Cameron

Building a blank page single-seater would be easier than building a silhouette racer, but where's the fun? I really like the look of the proper thunder saloons and I think it's a pretty cool niche to be in. :D

• Like 1

24seven

Building a blank page single-seater would be easier than building a silhouette racer, but where's the fun?

Average lap speed is 85-95mph

;)

Cameron

Maybe you'll understand as the build progresses. :P

You could ask the same question about doing an engine conversion, or any of the other projects on here - why bother when you could just get a faster car in the first place? Anyone who does it will know exactly why, because half the fun is having a "pokey old hatchback" that will happily give those faster cars a run for their money! It's exactly the same principle here, I could build a single seater, but I don't want to. For me, half the fun is the challenge of making one of these cars as good as it can possibly be.

So, now you know, nobody ever has to ask that question again. ;)

I went down to the unit earlier armed with these:

ShtGotReal.jpg

To quote my Facebook: "This s*it just got real." :D

Annoyingly I forgot my camera, so pics will wait until tomorrow.

Edited by Cameron
  • Like 1

Cameron

So, I took my camera down today, but the battery was completely flat so I had to make do with my s*it phone camera. :lol::rolleyes:

To catch up from yesterday, I made a start on the space-frame! :D I printed off a load of drawings in the morning with my tube colour-coding and some coordinate tables - as per previous post. In the afternoon I set about marking my centre line and axle lines on the jig, I took my time as these are probably the most important lines I'll draw in this build!

After all that I made a start on the rear bulkhead by cutting & profiling these little bits & pieces:

IMAG0221.jpg

Then welded them together:

IMAG0228.jpg

And that was pretty much it.

Today I started off by making a jig for the rear bulkhead as it's position is pretty important. With that done it was a matter of cutting and profiling the tubes.. I took my time as I don't want to waste any tubing.

IMAG0232.jpg

Then welded it all up!

IMAG0237.jpg

And that was that. :D

IMAG0238.jpg

I'll start on the main hoop backstays tomorrow after work, then I'm off to Spain for a week on Tuesday, so no more work for now! :D

kyepan

ShtGotReal.jpg

MufftechRacing... you spanner!

Edited by kyepan
  • Like 1

Cameron
:D My machinist liked it too! :lol:

puglove

Awesome build, can't wait to see the finished product! I personally would have gone down the ew10j4s route as i love that engine but whatever ends up in it I'm sure will be awesome!

Cameron

I was tempted by the EW but found the tuning options to be very limited when compared to the Duratec, unless of course I fancied paying someone to build the engine! Since I'm putting so much time and money into perfecting the chassis the engine needs to be something I can develop while I race, rather than something super special, I need to be realistic about time and budget!

There won't be much in the way of updates for a little while as I've been having back problems and have to take it easy.. I swear in the 4 weeks since I started physio it's done nothing but get worse! I'm currently spending an hour down there a couple of times a week and that'll continue for a while (or at least until I get bored and ignore the advice :lol: ).

Edited by Cameron

brumster

I think Mufftech racing needs a logo - maybe you should start up a little forum competition.

• Like 1