• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

stefan

All that work and his using it to drift?!

Cameron

I know, crazy isn't it! :lol:

shalmaneser

Holy mother of christ, that's a bit...serious isn't it!

Cameron

This took a while..

RollingChassis.jpg

But it's sooooooooooo nearly ready! Just got to do FEA on my rear wishbones and upright, then it's 100% ready. ^_^

ricdat

What tyre pressure are you using in that model? It seems a bit low.

I am also worried that they are not genuine Avons because I can't see any load rating, pressure, size, batch, etc markings on them. ;)

Good Grief! :o

Cameron

Haha don't tempt me.. putting the Avon logo on there took long enough. :lol:

To explain the pic a little, it's a package model of the suspension to check that everything fits and there's no clashes throughout the suspension / steering travel. It took so long because, well things take a while to model for a start, but it's a very fiddly iterative process of checking and adjusting! With the first try the front calipers touched the lower wishbone at 22Deg of lock, which isn't really enough! :lol: With a bit of fiddling around with the wishbone 'A' angle I got it to 30Deg (32 at touch) which should be plenty.

The front uprights are quite simple so didn't take too long, but the rears were a little more tricky. I went through several designs before I found something that looked good and was also nice and light, they're now sitting at 1.35kg which is pretty decent. The lower wishbone fouls the inside corner of the wheel rim, so I'll have to cantilever the end slightly - not ideal, but I have to compromise somewhere. Once that's done it's time for more tasty structural analysis. I'll be placing my tube order this week, too - exciting times. ^_^

Cameron

Just been working out all the tube lengths I need.. comes to 72m in total!

Good job I didn't opt for T45! :lol:

welshpug

got a calculated weight for that little lot? :D

Rippthrough

Just been working out all the tube lengths I need.. comes to 72m in total!

Good job I didn't opt for T45! :lol:

The bills for a few spaceframes come as a shock when they arrive for T45 :lol:

Cameron

Yeah I bet! This is *only* CDS and it still won't be cheap! I'll have a ring round tomorrow and see who will give me the best prices, current line-up is Hub le Bas, Aerocom (who used to be Elmdon, right?), any other suggestions?

alexcrosse

maybe once you put 72m of cds in a 205 shell you will stop taking the mick out the weight of my mini shell. and aerocom ftw

Cameron

It's ok, there'll barely be any 205 shell left when I'm done. Clamshells FTW! :D

yakspeed

Cameron, just wanted to say that I've been following this build (of the car, garage, frame 1, frame 2 and now the unit) on and off for months now and I have to say fair play to ya.

The quality of your work is amazing, and TBH that's just the tool box trollies, work benches, etc - let's face it there's no car yet!! ;-)

I'm having cold sweats just having to think about fitting some lowered seat rails in my pug, let alone this level of work.

I'm really looking forward to seeing some actual car work starting to take shape, roll on your pay day!!

Anyway enough of blowing smoke up yer arse, crack on!

Cameron

Very kind of you to say, thanks! :D I was phoning round the tube suppliers today but unfortunately ran out of time to place an order, will definitely be going ahead tomorrow morning though. Would be very nice to have the tube delivered in time for the weekend, too! :D

Cameron

Tube order placed! Managed to get a very good deal somehow.. £100 cheaper than my first quote yesterday from the same place! :D

brumster

On the gearbox front, Cam, I've just been stripping and rebuilding a Type 9 for my Lotus 7 rep and must admit it's a lovely simple gearbox to work on. I've uprated it with a heavy duty gearset from BGH Geartech (incredibly helpful - full kudos has to go to Chris there, who has helped me with various aspects of it) and the choice of ratios is plentiful - although I'm guessing you want to go sequential from early discussions? Maybe not a bad idea, as I believe type 9's don't like fast shifts all that much, although maybe we tighter ratios the difference on the sychros wouldn't be so bad. I've gone for a taller first, shorter fifth and an uprated layshaft front bearing which is going to be needed on big torque outputs. They even threw in a re-machined 2nd gear with improved oil channels.

I've got an old type-9 to Ford 109PCD-input-flange propshaft here, if it interests you once you know what length you need (it's not standard). Happy to donate it to the cause ;). Alternatively, if you need a prop making, I can wholly recommend 105Speed (thanks to Jim Turnell!) who turned me round a whole new custom prop in a couple of days.

Must admit I find gearbox rebuilding incredibly therapeutic!

• Like 1

Batfink

Just a big of critism as I know you can take it, but where are you going to mount your harnesses :P Theres no suitable tube. Too busy writing Avon?

• Like 1

brumster

Just a big of critism as I know you can take it, but where are you going to mount your harnesses :P Theres no suitable tube. Too busy writing Avon?

Noooo! That's two more 30cm lengths of CDS he needs to weld into his cross bars :o think of the additional weight? And the affect on torsional rigidity. And it'll put the chassis balance out too.

He'll just have to run with inertia reels instead.

Edited by brumster
  • Like 2

calvinhorse

Harnesses? Are you gay or something :P:D

• Like 1

Cameron

On the gearbox front, Cam, I've just been stripping and rebuilding a Type 9 for my Lotus 7 rep and must admit it's a lovely simple gearbox to work on. I've uprated it with a heavy duty gearset from BGH Geartech (incredibly helpful - full kudos has to go to Chris there, who has helped me with various aspects of it) and the choice of ratios is plentiful - although I'm guessing you want to go sequential from early discussions? Maybe not a bad idea, as I believe type 9's don't like fast shifts all that much, although maybe we tighter ratios the difference on the sychros wouldn't be so bad. I've gone for a taller first, shorter fifth and an uprated layshaft front bearing which is going to be needed on big torque outputs. They even threw in a re-machined 2nd gear with improved oil channels.

I've got an old type-9 to Ford 109PCD-input-flange propshaft here, if it interests you once you know what length you need (it's not standard). Happy to donate it to the cause ;). Alternatively, if you need a prop making, I can wholly recommend 105Speed (thanks to Jim Turnell!) who turned me round a whole new custom prop in a couple of days.

Must admit I find gearbox rebuilding incredibly therapeutic!

Thanks for the tip-off on the propshaft builders! :D

The plan is to go sequential with a Sadev Type-9 style box, which means if I struggle to save up the required £7k by the time I want to go racing I can go for a custom ratio T9 just to get things going a little quicker.

Yes, the propshaft would be very helpful! I have a T9 box now, so it would definitely help me get an idea of how long my prop needs to be, as that'll be a custom job later in the build.

There will be, don't worry! I couldn't be bothered to put them in to be honest, as I don't know where the shoulder holes on my seat will be yet.

I had the day off work today to lie in wait for my tube order, which has arrived! The car is also up on it's platform now (thanks Alex) centred and welded in place, ready for action. :D

532093_10151889858325231_1705536185_n.jpg

Cameron

So, one last little update of the workshop.. it's all ready to go! :D

487703_10151893387385231_1100964869_n.jpg

I got my new (new) TIG torch and checked that it works - it does! :D

DSC02275-1.jpg

Not bad considering I haven't touched a TIG welder for 2 years! That was my second attempt. [/smug]

I have one last thing to do, and that is to print off some drawings so I know what the hell I'm building. I'll do that this week so that next weekend I can start properly. In the meantime, I'm gonna get to work hacking the rest of the floor out of the shell.. starting tomorrow.

• Like 1

qwerty

That's some beautiful welding with the Tig, I accept I be sounding a bit dumb here but what is it you need the Tig welder for that the mig can't do?

This project is awesome mate, love all the tech and detailed stuff, please keep the photos coming ;)

Cameron

Everything! :lol:

I could do the space-frame with a MIG, but TIG welding is so much neater and in some cases easier as the torch is much more compact! But I mostly need it for the intricate stuff like wishbones and uprights, and also for welding aloominum. :)

No more pics until next weekend I don't think, need to get all my drawings and stuff done which will take most of this week.

Mad Scientist

Looks like the trailers are nearly over and the film will be starting soon!

I may have missed it somewhere, but I was wondering what you will be using to cut miters and notches in the tubing? With all the work going into the prep, it seems unlikely you'll be using a 4.5 inch grinder.

Reason for asking is I can't find a decent compound mitre saw, or tube notcher for steel, anywhere for decent money.

alexcrosse

Pretty sure he intends to use a 4.5" grinder, which after some practice can be the best method really... I have got a tube notcher he can borrow though, you can buy them through roll centre and such, but usually require some modification with a milling machine to get them perfect!