• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[project] The Ultimate Track 205

sambaileyw

Ah yeah v5? I've used it briefly at work I use solid edge and the frameworks are horrendous to use lol this just looked alot more effective :D Can't wait to see more pictures :D

clen666

Good work so far, wish I had the skills to take on something like this.

Looking forward to seeing the engine mounted up

Cameron

It's hands down the best CAD program out there, just a shame you have to pay so much for it! :lol:

SolidWorks is the best of the entry-level packages in my experience, really good user interface and is basically Catia's little brother.

The engine will go in soon, I'm just sorting out a design for the front end then I can start building again. :)

sambaileyw

The engine will go in soon, I'm just sorting out a design for the front end then I can start building again. :)

I've been using solid works at uni to design a mold tool, but because I use solid edge at work I find it difficult to use as they are similar but im just used to the other one :s

YAY duractec should be fun :P you staying n/a or?

Cameron

My mate found the same thing going from SolidWorks to Edge, he hated it!

Yes definitely staying N/A! :D

calvinhorse

Cameron! Get some work done! Really enjoying this project its gonna be amazing! Great work!

Cameron

I'm busy, I just don't have anything to show for it yet! :lol:

I won't be able to start building again for a couple of weeks, but will be picking up a few goodies between now and then. ^_^

Cameron

CAD progress is going well, I've almost got the space-frame design done after some major re-work to get it RWD.

SpaceframeWIP2.jpg

The front end is almost there, I just need to fettle it to get the suspension mounts fitting nicely, and finish off the front subframe that will transfer load from the splitter and carry most of the weight of the front bodywork. Other than that it's just awaiting engine / gearbox and diff mounts, then it's good to go. There will also be a removable brace over the top of the engine to help stiffen things up, I can't really be bothered to model it but it will most likely be made from oval aluminium tube.

I really love how the back end looks now, and am very happy with the new way the rear subframe mounts up!

SpaceframeWIP3.jpg

You'll probably notice something I'm experimenting with - offsetting the engine towards the "passenger" side - I want to do this to try and balance out my weight and also to gain space for the exhaust as the trans tunnel will be very tight!

In other news I have a dry sump system on order from AT Technologies, essential for getting the engine in the right place.

Edited by Cameron

wracing

Are you using the engine as a stressed member? the front end doesn't appear to have much dimension, or is it just the view angle?

James

tri_longer

Noddy question, but do all the different colours have a significance

Cameron

The engine will be tied into the chassis to help stiffen things up, I need to be careful not to crowd the engine bay with chassis members as it'll make maintenance / removal a nightmare. There's going to be a removable brace over the engine too, I just haven't modelled it, the front subframe will also add some stiffness to the open front section.

The colours represent different tube sizes / thicknesses. :)

kyepan

How much of the shell is going to remain and why aren't you just building a single seater instead!! Noddy question Wednesday..

johnnyboy666

I'm curious body wise, I would be disapointed if you didnt use an entire sh!itload of carbon fibre :P give us a hint!

Cameron

It all depends on money and time, but I want the front bodywork to be carbon and a once-piece removable jobbie. I haven't put a massive mount of thought into it as it's a long way off, but it'll have to be something I commission rather than attempt myself as I'm not massively confident in my bodywork abilities - mostly because I can't stand all the tedious filler work!

The rear end will be similar, I'm hoping for carbon panels but I'll probably make my own using the original quarters and some arch extensions to make a mould. The roof will be a sheet of carbon bonded in, and there'll be some sort of dirty great rear wing involved as it'd be rude not to. :lol:

I've just won this Ford Sierra rear diff on eGay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200747741671

After taking the advice of a very helpful chap at SWR Motorsport (UK Sadev supplier) I decided not to go for this XTrac diff I'd been eyeing up as the final drive ratio would be way off. The Ford diff gives me a massive choice of FDR as it's what the Caterfields use (and all the rally boys) so will have much more chance of matching the Sadev ratios.

Edit - it's been welded up, hence the price, but the guy assures me the output shafts and internals can still be removed! The welded spool will be ditched for a plate LSD further down the line.

Edited by Cameron

Cameron

I picked up the diff on Saturday after having a wander around Combe (cheers Al) but I won't be using it due to it being far too big and heavy. I'm really trying to fight the temptation to splash out on the XTrac one I've seen, I can't really justify the expense when it won't even have the correct FDR. The 7" Ford diff is currently my 1st choice and I should still be able to get a good range of ratios for it, and it'll save me some 8.5kg over the 7.5" I currently have.

Any other ideas for rear diffs are welcome, but bear in mind it needs to be light (so no iron ones) compact and have a good range of aftermarket FDR and LSD options.

allanallen

I picked up the diff on Saturday after having a wander around Combe (cheers Al) but I won't be using it due to it being far too big and heavy. I'm really trying to fight the temptation to splash out on the XTrac one I've seen, I can't really justify the expense when it won't even have the correct FDR. The 7" Ford diff is currently my 1st choice and I should still be able to get a good range of ratios for it, and it'll save me some 8.5kg over the 7.5" I currently have.

Any other ideas for rear diffs are welcome, but bear in mind it needs to be light (so no iron ones) compact and have a good range of aftermarket FDR and LSD options.

Don't a lot of caterfields use freelander diffs now......

Batfink

what about looking at japanese ones. Plenty of high performance RWD and 4WD vehicles and they tend to lead the way when it comes to materials and quality.

guffe

Or BMW diff?

Cameron

Don't a lot of caterfields use freelander diffs now......

They do, but I'm not sure why. After a bit of digging it seems that they can't handle much torque / sustained high speed as the Westfield Megabusas seem to kill them pretty quickly. I guess they're ok for bike engines but can't stand much abuse from things with a bit of grunt.

what about looking at japanese ones. Plenty of high performance RWD and 4WD vehicles and they tend to lead the way when it comes to materials and quality.

I'd looked at S2000, Evo, Scoob and Nissan, but they're quite big units (Subaru especially!) and most have iron casings.

Batfink

mazda mx5?

Rippthrough

Some of the 7-series' have ally diffs, and you can get aftermarket casings for the iron ones anyway. That's what most of the safari boys are running these days.

Might be overkill size-wize though.

Cameron

MX-5 could be an idea.. will have a lookie. BMW is probably going to be overkill, maybe a Z3 or Z4 would be more suitable but I have a feeling their FDR is quite low.

welshpug

what kind of final drive ratio would you be after?

looking briefly the E30's seem to be quite long, very long compared to a typical pug but much shorter ratio's in the box itself.

Wont be going slightly overkill be better than popping them?

Jackpoints.jpg

Edited by welshpug

kyepan

MX-5 could be an idea.. will have a lookie. BMW is probably going to be overkill, maybe a Z3 or Z4 would be more suitable but I have a feeling their FDR is quite low.

lots and lots of diff options available for these, up to and including factory fit torsions for the later mk 1 onwards and plenty of plate style things.

base-1

S2000 FDRs are also interchangeable with MX5 diffs supposedly, which widens the options there, 3.6 - 4.3 is standard fit in various MX5s and S2000 gear (possibly aftermarket) goes to 4.8 so quite a wide range.

Not convinced they are particularly light though, the casing is half iron / half ali which incorporates large rear mounting arms and the front mount is on one side only -

Torsen_Diff.jpg

Edited by base-1