• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alex205vtr

309 Rear Beam Fitting Problem

Alex205vtr

Hi all,

Ive had a good look around the site, but feel free to call me stupid!

Ive finally got round to fitting my 309 rear beam. The two bolts at the front, on each side,of the beam line up fine.

But the single thread rear mounts are about an inch out on both sides!

What have I done wrong??? Do I need offset mounts???

Thanks in advance for any help!

Alex

• Like 1

j_turnell

You have to swap the mounts round 180, should fit fine then.

Alex205vtr
You have to swap the mounts round 180, should fit fine then.

The rear mounts? The single threaded rubber thats attached to the bottom of the boot floor?

Sorry if I am being thick!

j_turnell

Yeh, they are offset if you take a look at them, and when fitting a 309 beam you have to rotate them 180, then they will line up with the holes.

Alex205vtr
Yeh, they are offset if you take a look at them, and when fitting a 309 beam you have to rotate them 180, then they will line up with the holes.

Ok thanks mate I'll go and have a look :mellow:

Alex205vtr

All done now! Cheers j_turnell

It looks amazingly wide!

I think I am going to have to look at arches...

Looks like the 1.9 alloys stick out a bit at the top, anyone know if this is an MOT issue?

Cheers, Alex

M@tt

Just drive it gingerly for a few days/week and it will "self adjust" the plastic arches ie rub off the offending plastic :D

Baz

Is it a GTi?

If the wheels stick out beyond a certain amount (20mm it might be but not sure!) it'll be an MOT fail.

Alex205vtr
Is it a GTi?

If the wheels stick out beyond a certain amount (20mm it might be but not sure!) it'll be an MOT fail.

No it was a standard 1988 1.1 Gr, I think the arches are different?

If been looking at Rallye arches, if i fitted these, would I the be able to remove some metal from underneath?

Cheers Alex

j_turnell
All done now! Cheers j_turnell

It looks amazingly wide!

I think I am going to have to look at arches...

Looks like the 1.9 alloys stick out a bit at the top, anyone know if this is an MOT issue?

Cheers, Alex

No problem, as your user name is 205vtr im assuming you've fitted it to a base model?? in which case you will need to do something with the rear arches as you'll have clearance issues as the base model arches are flat at the top, obviously this will depend on what ride height its at. Also as Baz said, they may stick out too far without arches!

There is a recent thred where someone has just fitted rear arches to a basemodel, worth a look.

Alex205vtr
No problem, as your user name is 205vtr im assuming you've fitted it to a base model?? in which case you will need to do something with the rear arches as you'll have clearance issues as the base model arches are flat at the top, obviously this will depend on what ride height its at. Also as Baz said, they may stick out too far without arches!

There is a recent thred where someone has just fitted rear arches to a basemodel, worth a look.

Yeah I have basically 're-shelled' a VTR into a mint base model 205.

Yeah I saw that thread on a white 205 which had the Gti kit fitted.

Am I right in thinking that the Rallye had the base model rear arches?

Alex

pug_ham
Am I right in thinking that the Rallye had the base model rear arches?

The UK rallye was an XT base model shell but I'm not sure for the euro Rallye.

Graham.

j_turnell
The UK rallye was an XT base model shell but I'm not sure for the euro Rallye.

Graham.

Could be wrong but i think its based on the 1.6 GTi....

swordfish210

Euro Rallye had GTi rear arches afaik, i saw a picture on here once of one with the arch removed as they looked the same, although it could have been a non factory modification. UK rallye had base model arches...like me :)

Daviewonder
Yeah I have basically 're-shelled' a VTR into a mint base model 205.

I like the sound of this, Will there be a progress blog in the near future?

Alex205vtr
I like the sound of this, Will there be a progress blog in the near future?

Yeah I fully intended to take pictures as I went along, but due to being far far far to excited about completing it, I got carried away and only took a few!

When its finished I will take pictures of any mods I have had to make (from ECU trays to radiator mounts), and upgrades such as electric windows, electric power steering (and I am currently working on a ABS system, borrowed from a saxo vts). I do have a good few pictures the day I drove it home in 1988 1.1 Gr form.

...As for the arches dilemma, my ideal solution was to fit the grp Rallye arches you see on ebay, In the hope it would let me trim the actual metal arches underneath?

Not sure how the Rallye arches fit, the shape does look base model though?

Alex

allye

You can fit Rallye arches to a base model shell or a GTI. If you were to fit Rallye arches you could cut back enough to prevent any rubbing and damage to your tyres.

welshpug

Euro Rallye had GTI/Griffe/Gentry rear quarter panels, similar front wings, just a different trim over them, so a template of a Gti wing will show what material to remove.

Edited by welshpug

Alex205vtr
You can fit Rallye arches to a base model shell or a GTI. If you were to fit Rallye arches you could cut back enough to prevent any rubbing and damage to your tyres.

Euro Rallye had GTI/Griffe/Gentry rear quarter panels, similar front wings, just a different trim over them, so a template of a Gti wing will show what material to remove.

Excellent! I have some Gti rear arches I can use as templates, I will buy the arches asap and get cutting!

What would be best, cutting the material off, or attempting to roll the excess inside the arch? Either way is making me nervous as this is a mint 22 year old 205 :)

welshpug

It would need cutting, its quite a difference.

The issue is that the wheels are too far out now, so vertical suspension travel at its limits will still cause contact afaik, don't get why people don't just buy bigger torsion bars but hey :)

shalmaneser
It would need cutting, its quite a difference.

The issue is that the wheels are too far out now, so vertical suspension travel at its limits will still cause contact afaik, don't get why people don't just buy bigger torsion bars but hey :lol:

:lol:

Cos it looks gangsta, obviously!

Anthony
don't get why people don't just buy bigger torsion bars but hey :lol:

Cost primarily I suspect (particularly a few years back when PTS were the only supplier of bars for £££'s) as a 309 GTi beam, even with the premium they tend to command, still works out a fair bit cheaper than a 205 GTi beam and a set of uprated bars.