• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sceptre

Sat Nav Dash

sceptre

I was looking at the sat nav the other day as it lay in my passenger footwell with a crack on the screen after a sharp right hand bend and I thought to myself, there must be a better way... that sucker is no match for the lateral forces of a 205 with an irresponsible driver.

So I went inside, picked up the drill and pointed it at that stupid triangle panel on the middle top of the dash. But then I got thinking, I must be able to wire in the power lead to that triangle as I don't use the cigarette lighter for anything else... and I must be able to attach the holder onto the plastic beneath that panel so that only the actual cradle pokes out the top. And then I must be able to use the panel which the cigarette lighter and money pot for something useful!

With all the interior modification that people do on here, there must be someone who has tackled these ideas before me?

Any help?

Also, anyone like to recommend me a decent satnav for under £100? :mellow:

omega

best sat nav is tom tom[dont get a rac one as they are cr@p]

cant help with the fitting.

welshpug

I have a MeiMei, and my mate kev has a KevKev :mellow:

aka a good old Road atlas and printout of Google maps with notes scribbled on :D

having said that, I did do several thousand miles with a borrowed TomTom one when I was doing multidrop driving delivering radiators around Chesterfield - Sheffield Rotherham and over Manchester area, I just made a list of postcodes the evening before in order then let the tomtom guide me, got to within a few miles of most destinations without looking at it.

Transit van I'd just sit the unit in front of the speedo, same with the VW LT and Sprinter.

did not get on with the Garmin units.

Edited by welshpug

Gibbo GTI

I'm not overly impressed with my Garmin and will be returning to TomTom soon. The windscreen sucker mount is excellent though and never once has it looked like it might fail through harsh driving.

sceptre

Ok so I ended up going to halfrauds and buying a garmin nuvi 1300

now it turns out that my cigarette lighter has stopped working too so I'm defo going to install a new one (one of those cheap ones which just comes straight from the battery) and install it into the glove box so I can route the power cable up out the top of the dash

ur right, the sucker is better on this one, looks like a mount is not necessary after all.

omega
Ok so I ended up going to halfrauds and buying a garmin nuvi 1300

now it turns out that my cigarette lighter has stopped working too so I'm defo going to install a new one (one of those cheap ones which just comes straight from the battery) and install it into the glove box so I can route the power cable up out the top of the dash

ur right, the sucker is better on this one, looks like a mount is not necessary after all.

im so glad that you listened to all the advice that people gave you about sat navs.

makes posting so worth while

gives you that nice warm feeling inside.

sceptre
im so glad that you listened to all the advice that people gave you about sat navs.

makes posting so worth while

gives you that nice warm feeling inside.

sorry is that sarcasm? I know I didn't go for the TomTom but I wasn't sure I wanted a sat nav that cost me more than my car! I went for the Garmin because Gibbo said they had good suckers :lol:

Thanks for all the help

Gibbo GTI

They do have good suckers but that's about it. You could have bought mine (Nuvi 1340 or 1300T, can't remember at mo) for half the price. I didn't offer to sell it to you as I didn't want you to suffer with it.

Edited by Gibbo GTI

tomcolinjones
They do have good suckers but that's about it. You could have bought mine (same model) for half the price. I didn't offer to sell it to you as I didn't want you to suffer with it.

i find the traffic updates, and speed camera awareness software a lot better on the nuvi, tomtom is just a gimic imho,

Or maybe it is subconsious, and i have had Tomtom drilled into me as a nikname for the last 5 years, becasue i despise everyone who uses there satnav to go to work everyday to the same address, like you forget your way to work???

Tesstuff

My Garmin widescreen has been excellent in two years of use, like anything you will get good and bad reviews.

Gibbo GTI

My biggest complaint really is the fact that the map coverage in more remote areas is lacking with the Garmin. I do a lot of hiking and use the satnav to get to some remote places to start my walks and TomTom has far superior coverage. On a couple of occasions i've had to get my 1:50,000 scale OS map out to find my parking area when using the Garmin. I wanted a change from TomTom but I will be reverting back soon.