• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JoshGti

Grease In Back Of Rear Caliper

JoshGti

Ive tried searching for things like black grease caliper etc but all i get is stuff about split cv boots and allsorts.

Basically, ive stripped my rear calipers totally as one of them was sticking and on inspection some water has got in amongst the spring washers and caused them to stick together.

Ive taken them back to individual components and sorted out the washers and ordered a new seal kit, my question is what type of grease should i use in the back of the caliper?? Its currently (or was) this thick black tough stuff that didnt seem to be doing much lubricating at all, what is it? And should i use the same again?

Red grease will be used on the sliders but not sure on the other one.

Josh

Anthony

I've always just regreased the caliper mech with moly grease and they've been fine.

JoshGti

Lovely! Cheers anthony, just what i needed to know, Ive got a load of it in the shed so ill just wait for the rebuild kit and crack on!

welshpug

only ever rebuilt one pair of pug rear calipers and I used Moly grease too, did the job and no complaints so far :lol:

not sure entirely what the original grease was, but I doubt after all this time its anything near its original state!

swordfish210

I used Moly grease when i did mine, should be more than adequate.

miamichris

Another one for moly grease!

And red rubber grease for the sliders/piston :mellow:

JoshGti

Unanimous votes then! Seems to be the way to go, seems a shame hiding rebuilt bits like calipers and the rear beam under the car, nice to get another job out of the way tho

Alan_M

When I refurbed my rear calipers the correct grease came with the seal kit. It wasn't Moly, but something else.

Can't remember where I got my kit from though.