• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
monkee87

Master Cylinder Problems

monkee87

Okay, so I've removed a 2 port ABS m/c from a 205, I measured the piston and it's about 20mm I think. The ABS has been completely removed and it's now a normal 1.9 braking system.

The one I have to replace it is a 4 port that was sold to me as a 205 GTi one, and I think the piston is 23mm. That makes me think it's a 406 one.

Now, the problem is, everything was in place and brakes were bled. When I pressed the pedal it makes a clicking noise and there is alot of travel. I assume it's down to the bigger piston and the push rod is too far away/small. So can I adjust the push rod in the servo to fix the problem? Plus how do you even do it?

I'm running standard 1.9 brakes.

Any bright ideas? Cars in for MOT on Wednesday, so the problem really needs sorting sharpish. :)

Miles

Was it new or S/H? If S/H bin it and buy a new one as you don;t know the history of it

monkee87
Was it new or S/H? If S/H bin it and buy a new one as you don;t know the history of it

It was second hand, the piston moves freely and it pumps fluid no problem, so I think it's good.

I just don't know what to do.. If I adjust the push rod, I think that'll solve the problem.

Miles

The couple of times I;ve done that the brakes lock on as it doesnt release fully.

But 23mm is too big for a std 205 one so might be off something else with a different pedal stroke

welshpug

£35 odd for a bendix 20.6mm one from GSF will sort you out :lol:

monkee87

Rather not spend the money as it's not my car... My old man says you can change all the gubbins from the old cylinder to the new cylinder. He's gonna have a go tomorrow. Not the first time he's done it! :lol: seems like a far fetched idea to me..

Ever heard of anyone doing that??

Daviewonder
Rather not spend the money as it's not my car... My old man says you can change all the gubbins from the old cylinder to the new cylinder. He's gonna have a go tomorrow. Not the first time he's done it! :lol: seems like a far fetched idea to me..

I can't see that working if they're different bore sizes.

welshpug

that! I'd just go and buy one for him, its your only component between you and no brakes!

MerlinGTI

Hmmmm

Dude, it's £30. We are talking brakes here.

Am I alone in thinking it's even worse that it's someone elses car?

monkee87
Hmmmm

Dude, it's £30. We are talking brakes here.

Am I alone in thinking it's even worse that it's someone elses car?

I wouldn't give him a car with dodgy brakes! If he buys the master cylinder it'll all be good. :lol: he won't be getting the car until it's even MOT'd anyway....

pug_ham
My old man says you can change all the gubbins from the old cylinder to the new cylinder. He's gonna have a go tomorrow. Not the first time he's done it! :lol: seems like a far fetched idea to me..

You used to be able to get master cylinder rebuild kits or Mini's etc but I'm not sure you can or newer cars so much anymore.

If its anything like the caliper rebuild kits its cheaper to get a new master cylinder or the difference in price & then at least you have one you know is right.

Graham.