• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
HERMAN

Spring Options For A Gti6 Conversion

HERMAN

Just about finished my gti6 conversion and the front springs are partly coil bound. I am looking for some cheap springs to take the extra weight and also lower the front slightly from standard.

Would 306 or 309 springs help take the extra weight until I can afford a set of coil overs?

What have other people used on there gti6 converted cars?

I have done several searches but could not find what I was looking for.

Thanks

Neil

tomcolinjones
Just about finished my gti6 conversion and the front springs are partly coil bound. I am looking for some cheap springs to take the extra weight and also lower the front slightly from standard.

Would 306 or 309 springs help take the extra weight until I can afford a set of coil overs?

What have other people used on there gti6 converted cars?

I have done several searches but could not find what I was looking for.

Thanks

Neil

are you on standard springs now? go for tarmac rally spec, about 50/60 pounds

HERMAN

Thanks Tom good idea do you know who does them?

Cheers

Neil

Edited by HERMAN

allye

ALso very interested in this, I am wondering what Eibach springs to use?! (sorry for the hijack!)

Miles

Eibach only list one spring 7001-120(Correct fitting) for the 205 & 106 which sit's fine from experance, 306 springs will have you in off road mode and so will 309 ones not to the same degree thou

allye

Nice one, thanks for that miles, I'v got some spax shocks which are alright but the springs arn't great. I don't want it sitting really too low.

Tesstuff

Use the VTS springs, they lower it and are a nice stiffness.

They have been perfect for the v6 conversion :unsure:

allye
Use the VTS springs, they lower it and are a nice stiffness.

They have been perfect for the v6 conversion :unsure:

Straight onto 205 shocks yer?

Tesstuff
Straight onto 205 shocks yer?

Mine are straight onto 205 shocks, tried it with 306 Gti6 springs and it was too high, changed to VTS springs and it is perfect.

Good balance of ride quality and handling :)

allye
Mine are straight onto 205 shocks, tried it with 306 Gti6 springs and it was too high, changed to VTS springs and it is perfect.

Perfect! just what I'm after, cheers for the heads up!

Alastairh

Excellent, i was wondering how you got on with those.

I had a spare

set of VTS springs and -30mm VTS springs in mind for this job which i won't be using.

Al

Tesstuff

I had a spare

set of VTS springs and -30mm VTS springs in mind for this job which i won't be using.

Al

You sorted the problem Al :)

I nearly popped in to show the results earlier, was on the A14 :)

Alastairh

Gutted, you'll have to let me know when your next passing again.

Al :)

Anthony

Has that actually been tried on a GTi-6 (or other XU10 engine) conversion though?

I know that the V6 engine is similar weight to a GTi-6, but the weight is further forwards, and as far as I know, the ML gearbox is much heavier than a BE - both factors that will effect how the springs sit.

Certainly it doesn't seem to add up somewhere in my mind, as when I tried a set of 306 30mm lowering springs* on my 205 GTi 1.9 8v in a bid to find a cheap source of higher poundage springs, the car sat stupidly high - a good inch or so higher than standard I'd say. I can't see a GTi-6 engine - as heavy as it is compared to an 8v - dropping the car down that much, although I'm happy to be proved wrong.

* - those 30mm lowering springs sat about the same height on the 306 they were removed from as the VTS springs that I'm using on my current 306 do, so they're a reasonable comparison.

welshpug

Backing up Anthony's post with my experience - phase 1 xsara vts (same as zx16v) make a 306 sit an inch lower, other than that they're the same number of coils and wire diameter.

Eibach springs for a 306 drop a few mm more and are stiffer, here's the two side by side.

14-08-09_1344.jpg

Tesstuff

v6 on 205 1.9 Gti springs was too low, too little clearance for the sump and unable to get on the MOT ramps.

v6 on 205 1.8D springs was higher but far too soft, but cleared the MOT ramps to get the MOT pass.

v6 on 306 Gti6 springs was too high, a bit higher than the 205 1.8D springs.

v6 on VTS springs is perfect.

I don't know how much heavier his Gti6 conversion will eventually be, we would need to know which brakes are being used , the Gti6 ones are so heavy they would lower the car 40mm on their own :)

welshpug

:) brakes are unsprung weight, so they don't affect it one bit ;)

406 brembo's don't weigh anything less than gti6 brake setup BTW, as the discs weigh so much :)

what is your actual ride height compared to standard?

Edited by welshpug

Tesstuff

Check my avatar, the ride height is like that but with 406 v6 coupe alloys and 195/45/16 tyres.

I want ride comfort as well, so around standard height is the preference. It handles well and rides well as it is.

Miles

Intresting stuff, the V6 in the 309 made no differance at all in the std ride height, Sit's spot on with the back a minor amount higher

Edited by Miles

HERMAN

I had a spare set of VTS springs and -30mm VTS springs in mind for this job which i won't be using.

Al

I am willing to give the vts springs a go on my GTI6 engined car. Are yours for sale Alastaih? I am coming down to Daventry soon I could meet up with you.

Neil

Tesstuff
I am willing to give the vts springs a go on my GTI6 engined car. Are yours for sale Alastaih? I am coming down to Daventry soon I could meet up with you.

Neil

Had a think about it Herman, try the VTS -30mm springs first :)

tomcolinjones
Had a think about it Herman, try the VTS -30mm springs first :)

what poundage are the vts springs? are they the same ph1 + ph2?

welshpug

no, PH2 are longer.

Peetypug

Totally off topic, but when I've just looked at the topic title and thought it said spring onions for my gti6 conversion!

that is all!