• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeXS

Pas Steering Rack Fitting Issue

GeorgeXS

Well after a frustrating morning trying to fit my newly acquired PAS rack i have found it does not fit!

The PAS gubbins fouls the gear linkage on the subframe, something i hadn't even considered it hitting as of course the GTI subframe is different, it doesn't need much trimming off would it still remain strong enough for gearchanging purposes?

If that wasn't enough the lower UJ does not goes into the cabin enough as it has a much bulkier section just above the UJ which cannot go through the seal. Do GTI's have a different bulkhead seal? Or can I split the two lower UJ's i now have and make a PAS/Non-PAS hybrid lower UJ to fit both.

Starting to wish i hadnt bothered starting this, just feels like a losing battle!

.....and breath!

BERTMAN

do you want to get a few pictures up mate, might be easier to help if we could see the problem too.

Miles

Have you got a Xsara or 306 Rack as these have a largeer U/J and this is the problem you will have, otherwise the seal's are the same

The subframe's are basically the same, it's just the Gear linkage which is different and might foul somewhere on the Ram

GeorgeXS

I'll get some pictures up in a bit, not feeling especially great at the moment, hanging doesn't quite say it!

It was sold to me as a 205 GTI rack.

The UJ itself is the same size as the one already on its just there is a big hunk of metal directly above it stopping the shaft going any further into the cabin.

Anthony

PAS racks don't fit TU subframes properly for exactly the reasons you've discovered.

Do a search for Adam_P's threads and you should find a post about him having the same issue and how he got around it.

GeorgeXS

I read through Adam_P's big project thread and he changed over the subframe to a GTI one at the same time as fitting the PAS rack. He swapped the gear linkage post over though, so he must have still had to get around the problem somehow. I'll message him and find out.

Anyway pics as promised:

P1020634.jpg

The bottom UJ is the original, the upper is the "GTI PAS" supposed one

P1020635.jpg

The rack isn't in its proper position here, but the arrowed bits collide when it starts to get close

Edited by GeorgeXS

Tom Fenton

UJ looks like a 306/Xsara one to me.

madspikes

Is this my old rack??

All the bits are as they came off my GTi. I'll see if I can find some pictures with it installed. I cant remember if the Manual / PAS rack rubber bulk head seals are different or not.

Mad.

Edited by madspikes

GeorgeXS
Is this my old rack??

All the bits are as they came off my GTi. I'll see if I can find some pictures with it installed. I cant remember if the Manual / PAS rack rubber bulk head seals are different or not.

Mad.

Yes it is, Miles says above the seals are the same so how it came straight off yours is a mystery to me.

welshpug

looks like a late non-gti upper column, gti's didn't have that flexible rubber section above the UJ, but I think most places will only supply that type now.

there are two types of bulkhead grommet, gti and non-gti.

Edited by welshpug

madspikes

Here is a picture of the manual rack in my car... I cant find the ones with the PAS rack in the car.

post-2857-1293983936_thumb.jpg

ade 4wd

Just to clear things up, there are only two types of bulkhead grommets for the 205. One for PAS and one for non PAS.

GeorgeXS

Ahh ok didn't know there were two types of bulkhead grommet.

Well the manual rack's back on for the time being, not sure i'm gonna bother with this for the moment.

The gear linkage would have to be altered quite a lot and seeing as i'm only back from uni for another 3 weeks i'd rather spend the time driving the car.

AdamP

Should have poked a quick search in here before hand :-/

Hope these pics help:

PICT0139.jpg

PICT0134.jpg

PICT0121.jpg

PICT0135.jpg

PICT0120.jpg

Note that the main issue is getting the hydraulic pipes to the rack without fouling the gear linkage.

Edited by AdamP