• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

Base Model Calipers With 1.6 Carriers And 1.9 Discs, Or 1.9 Calipers A

tomcolinjones

As the title, i have loads of 1.9 discs, a pair of 22k zx calipers (base model 205) pair of 1.6 gti front pad carrers, and 2 pairs of 1.9 gti calipers.

i think the pistons are all the same size, what i want to know is, whats the difference in pad area between the 1.6 and the 1.9 pads, and if the base model calieprs with 1.6 pad carrier and vented 1.9 disc are as god as the 1.9 gti setup.

i havnt got any scales, but i thinkk it is lighter, and pads for 1.6 gti's are cheaper (ds2500), and when they are part worn i can then fit them in the rear. (tight *rse)!

any ideas? should i stick with the 1.9 setup, or use the base model calipers, with 1.9 discs, and 1.6 carriers?

allye

1.9 calipers are the best, probably the heaviest too, but worth it IMO.

Surely base model calipers will not accomodate vented discs!

tomcolinjones
1.9 calipers are the best, probably the heaviest too, but worth it IMO.

Surely base model calipers will not accomodate vented discs!

think it is easyest in the long run, and they are good. just playing around.

iirc you can fit 1.6 front pad carriers to the base model caliper, to accomodate 1.9 vented discs, and 1.6 front pads.

the base model calipers are alloy body, but when they are build up, they are not realy lighter. i couldnt tell a difference, so theres no point waisting time with it, like i just have!

unless you want to run 13" wheels, with vented discs.

1.9 calipers it is!

Edited by tomcolinjones

allye
iirc you can fit 1.6 front pad carriers to the base model caliper, to accomodate 1.9 vented discs, and 1.6 front pads.

Well I didn't know that!

But yer, 1.9 setup is def the best. From what I'v read 1.6 calipers have a habbit of siezing. On a completely different note but still brake related, most car manufactures use normal grease on calipers on new cars so it just eats the rubber seals and many 2 or 3 year old cars get siezed calipers!

Use rubber grease on calipers! (albeit £20 a pot :lol: )

tomcolinjones
Use rubber grease on calipers! (albeit £20 a pot :lol: )

i have a few tubs left over from my old work :( so i try to use it as often as i can.

dont fancy them seizin at all! and if it saves 100 grams at most, it cant be worth it. pad area is smaller, and i think there is less chance of things going wrong with the good old 1.9 calipers! it was just an idea, that will work, but the cons outbalance the pros! for what i want anyhow.

ali, when the gti6 goin in your rallye? im stripin the vts over new year. then its a head skim, head gasket, new water pump, new timing belt kit. and get her in the hole! wiring is another story tho! Tu3-Xu10 club.... roll on!

Miles

I've always prefered the Bendix callipers over the 1.9 ones, In Good condition they are just as good if not better

Anthony

The key word there is good condition though, and unfortuntately, most are not these days.

If those ZX ones you've got are really only 22k miles then they might be alright and worth a punt, but certainly your typical 20+ year old 205 ones that have high miles on them are little short of useless frankly. Usual giveaways that they're knackered is a clunk noise in reverse and/or the pads not wearing squarely

1.9 calipers work well and generally don't seem to suffer from age and mileage, just so long as you periodically regrease the sliders and check the slider boots aren't split. I run 1.9 calipers with Ferodo DS2500 pads, and am very happy with them on both road and track.

AdamP

1.9 calipers dont fit under 13" wheels whereas 1.6 calipers do. Something else to think about.

I ran the 1.6 carrier and 1.9 disc setup and it worked perfectly.

pug_ham

I replaced the standard fit 1.6 GTI Bendix calipers for some NOS base model bendix ones on my STDT not long beore selling it & just swapped the original 1.6 GTI Bendix calipers pad guide over.

No problems whatsoever.

I thread locked the slider bolts back in & worked out the rough torque by using a spring torque wrench to undo them & retightening them to the figure they came undone at.

Graham.