• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Gaz Vs Oe Damper Length

madspikes

The Gaz dampers have what is believed to be OE replacement springs, and seemingly had a normal ride height. So how do I explain the difference in damper lengths between the OE and GAZ dampers and springs? Is it just something that will sort its self out when the weight of the car is on them?

post-2857-1293228010_thumb.jpg

Happy Christmas All,

mad. :lol::D

Edited by madspikes

RossD

I would think the Gaz damper looks shorter than the OE one. It'll be compressed once it on the car, you'll just have less travel before the wheel lifts now (i.e when driving hard or jacking the car up) when compared with the OE damper.

Edited by RossD

Miles

I can check later in the week as I've just taken some of these of and chucked em in the bin. The Gaz's rely on the spring to extend them, There is no expansion on the rod by itself unlike say most Gas dampers

madspikes
I would think the Gaz damper looks shorter than the OE one. It'll be compressed once it on the car, you'll just have less travel before the wheel lifts now (i.e when driving hard or jacking the car up) when compared with the OE damper.

This is kind of what I thought, was looking for someone to confirm my thoughts.

I can check later in the week as I've just taken some of these of and chucked em in the bin. The Gaz's rely on the spring to extend them, There is no expansion on the rod by itself unlike say most Gas dampers

Are you saying these are rubbish? I'm just looking for something to replace my OE dampers that never have been changed (since 1992) and have done 150k+ miles.

Mad. :)

welshpug

They'll do for that I guess :) depends if the o.e ones still damp or not :D no experience of Gaz myself though.

If they are original spec springs then I would think the ride height would be similar as long as they aren't pre-loaded further than what they compress to on the full length damper with the weight of the car on them.

Rippthrough

The ride height should be similar but you'll have less droop travel with the standard springs (might be a little crashier over potholes as a result) they're made like that so they can use shorter, harder springs for track use.

Madspikes - all dampers rely on the spring to extend them, if they're in good condition they'll be fine.

Miles

Not great from experance,

The owner of a 205 I've just had in was complaining about the handing not being great, when I asked what dampers he had that explained it all to me, I know that Gaz's around here on my roads are very poor compared to almost anything, well bar the Black rear Billies so when he picks it up next week I hope he should be over the moon.

madspikes

I shall be using them with some Eibach springs. The dampers are in good condition, and the previous owner had no problems with them... But we shall see...

mad. :)

madspikes

I popped the springs off one of the GAZ dampers and off the OE damper, and the springs are the same height, so it must be just damper piston length.

Mad.

Miles

I did check the one I had, Only very slightly shorter, Around 10mm but the spring didn't make them extend to full length without pulling it up