• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey sprocket

Rear Beam Mount Brackets

davey sprocket

Think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the beam I'm rebuilding blasted and powdercoated.

Obviously, I'll get the brackets and so-on done to match.

However, looking at the rear beam mount brackets, they seem to be quite badly corroded. I'm concerned that the sides of them are supposed to be thicker than they are now... or is that great big layer of rust the remains of something else??

th_SDC10854.jpg

th_SDC10852.jpg

Has anyone got some really good ones to compare or photograph for me??

JoshGti

Davey, i havent got a picture of one to hand, but why not whack it in a vice and have a go at one of them with a wire brush grinder attachment, see how much of that is corrosion and how much is good metal, might give you an idea of worth before buying new ones or getting them blasted?

davey sprocket
Davey, i havent got a picture of one to hand, but why not whack it in a vice and have a go at one of them with a wire brush grinder attachment, see how much of that is corrosion and how much is good metal, might give you an idea of worth before buying new ones or getting them blasted?

Maybe its not clear form the pics but the metal above the holes is all good solid metal.... however below the hole on the left hand side, there is a layer of rust that is at least as thick again as the metal.

The metal on the right hand side of the mount is noticeably thicker than the left hand side all the way up.

My guess is that one side has corroded down to about half its original thickness but without taking the ones off my car and putting it out of action, I've nothing to compare it with.

This piece is not available new (nfp on servicebox) unless someone knows otherwise.

jord294

all 309s, and base model 205s including the 1.6 gti beam use one type of crossmember bracket

afaik, it's only the 205 1.9 gti which has different brackets (offset studs)

davey sprocket
all 309s, and base model 205s including the 1.6 gti beam use one type of crossmember bracket

afaik, it's only the 205 1.9 gti which has different brackets (offset studs)

Ah, that might save me a lot of later headaches.... this beam I'm rebuilding and therefore these brackets as well came off a 1.6 and is destined for my 1.9.

Bugger... I was really trying to get everything up together ready to just bolt on my car to reduce downtime. I'll have to re-use the ones from my current car... unless someone has some of the offset 1.9 brackets lying around.