• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeyB13

Omp Steering Wheel Boss

MikeyB13

Having problems fitting my OMP steering wheel.

When fitted the boss is rubbing slightly on the dash its as though the boss is a couple of ml's too short or is going in too far. The car is a 91j and ive bought the 87 and later boss.

Has anyone else had problems getting them to fit? Did a search and people only seemed to have issues with it sticking out too far. Is there a solution other than cutting away bits of the dash?

Mikey

Edited by MikeyB13

Henry Yorke

I'd file away part of the dash. I think the number for the right one for later cars is something like 0188X. Mine fitted my 1993 CTI fine. Maybe your shroud around the ignition is not quite in line

Anthony

There is a degree of movement in the upper steering column, so it could be that yours has pulled in too far and now rubbing on the plastics.

Loosen the 13mm bolt that clamps the upper and lower steering columns together (roughly above the clutch pedal) and then with a steering wheel fitted, give it a yank towards you and chances are that it will move a few millimeters. Retighten the clamp bolt, and job's a good 'un.

welshpug

Agree with what Anthony said, I don't think its mentioned in the 205 manual, but the 306's column is of the same construction bar the tilt mechanism, and there is a short paragraph in the Haynes Manual about setting the protrusion of the upper column which is set by the clamp at its joint to the lower section.

MikeyB13

Thanks guys ill have a go at it tonight and see if I can move the upper column out any.

MikeyB13

Thanks again worked a treat. <_<