• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jgb888

Rear Beam

jgb888

hi all,

am new to the workings of the 205!!

i'm an engineer and not boasting but am pretty good at taking things apart and reassemble etc etc!!

but have never had the joy (or not) of doing a rear beam!!!!

i have 2 x 205's 1st i bought about 3 yrs ago with a 405 sri engine in (1.9 high compression pistons) i drove it to liverpool from the south and back in 1 day easy (obviously) i knew that the valve stem seals were gone and it was gonna be a bit of work, so wasn't that bothered about the car.

Not long picked up another (1.6) new drive shafts and the bloke has re-sprayed it (own shop) its lovelly elec windows etc etc, its grey inside but thats changing thanks to the first!

Now (getting to the point) 1st is standard height 2nd (i want) isnt!!!

2nd is slammed, so much it has 14" wheels so it can move!!!!!!!!!

I know really i should refurb or get a refurb rear beam, but i know while driving the first to liverpoool its not seized, can i get away from just swapping?

Reason is i'm on a real budget, getting married next year and i wanna take her on my stag do to the isle of man, but want a good car to take, shall i attack it myself or is there someone who will do it with me and i dont have to spend lots of money???? really need the help

cheers John

jord294

if your confident, have a go yourself

or if you want someone to build one for you, i can help :)

although, there are other beam builders who are more local to you, and would help, i'm sure

james_pug

There's a guide to it on the main site.

It's not all that costly to rebuild though if you can do the work yourself, I did mine on my dimma for under £60

Birk

I have a rear beam for sale, wanting £100 for it.

Dan

boombang

If neither beam has been apart, chances are they are knackered. Typically it's 50-50 if the tube is reuseable or not, and 95% of the trailing arm shafts are knackered.

At current prices, the shafts alone are over £100. Seem to occasionally crop up for £60 each, and more often £90 each. Add bearings, seals, and time to rebuild and you're looking at a fair whack to get it sorted.

That said, it is something well worth doing and should be very high on list of priorities - a beam in GWO transforms the car, whereas a seized or worn beam can be outright dangerous.

I've got a beam that was rebuilt a couple of years ago for sale at £200 - it's cheaper than a refurb and would give a known good starting point.

Reading is only an hour or so from here, may be of interest to you.

jgb888

thanks for the info,

Dan your a bit far to go although 100 quid is a good price, cheers

boombang, thanks for the offer £200 is a good price also, and your closer, prob is then i'm left with 3 beams lol!!!!

but i am very tempted.

How many miles hat that beam done? when u say beam what are we talking about (can i just bolt on and go etc)

Cheers

welshpug

mileage counts for nothing with a beam tbh, its more about age and type of use.

boombang
boombang, thanks for the offer £200 is a good price also, and your closer, prob is then i'm left with 3 beams lol!!!!

but i am very tempted.

How many miles hat that beam done? when u say beam what are we talking about (can i just bolt on and go etc)

Cheers

I'm not 100% sure on the details of the beam, but was told it was a comprehensive rebuild. I bought the car some months back and dry stored it since, up till then was used mainly for sprint events, done very little mileage in it's past ownership.

Will have a look through the receipts and see if I can dig out when it was done precisely.

The proof however is in the seeing - I am happy to strip for viewing and reset to whatever ride height you want it at. Drop me a PM if that sounds interesting, I'm waiting to start a new job so could well have time to do it in next few days.

You can always put the other beams up on ebay, generally speaking even a completely unknown beam on there will go for £50+ Even if the bearings and shafts are shot, the tube might be salvageable.

jord294

if you want one of my beams, i'll take all 3 of your beams as a part x :lol:

pug_ham

This is not the for sale sction so please keep posts restricted to suit.

Also, selling by pm isn't allowed (although it still happens). :lol:

Graham.

Alan_M
hi all,

am new to the workings of the 205!!

i'm an engineer and not boasting but am pretty good at taking things apart and reassemble etc etc!!

but have never had the joy (or not) of doing a rear beam!!!!

i have 2 x 205's 1st i bought about 3 yrs ago with a 405 sri engine in (1.9 high compression pistons) i drove it to liverpool from the south and back in 1 day easy (obviously) i knew that the valve stem seals were gone and it was gonna be a bit of work, so wasn't that bothered about the car.

Not long picked up another (1.6) new drive shafts and the bloke has re-sprayed it (own shop) its lovelly elec windows etc etc, its grey inside but thats changing thanks to the first!

Now (getting to the point) 1st is standard height 2nd (i want) isnt!!!

2nd is slammed, so much it has 14" wheels so it can move!!!!!!!!!

I know really i should refurb or get a refurb rear beam, but i know while driving the first to liverpoool its not seized, can i get away from just swapping?

Reason is i'm on a real budget, getting married next year and i wanna take her on my stag do to the isle of man, but want a good car to take, shall i attack it myself or is there someone who will do it with me and i dont have to spend lots of money???? really need the help

cheers John

If you want any help or pointers, give us a shout as I work at AWE and wouldn't be hard to pop by :)