• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dariooo

Rear Beam...

Dariooo

Helo

I'm just refurbised a rear beam and I have some question.

I have read about rear arm. If I change rear arm (with xsara, zx, 306...) I can get a negative camber. I can choose a rear arm from whichever car (1.1, 1.4, 1.6, 2.0)? I'm worry about rear disc. I will can install it on that arm (it it has got a drum before)?

I don't understend something about rear wheel bearings. Peugeot seller have only a hub with a bearings. Can I change only a bearing inside the hub (somebody know a dimension maybe?) or I must buy it toghether, which it's so expensive.

Thank you

Tom Fenton

You can fit rear discs to any arm, you just need to swap over the stub axle and the caliper mount plate.

The rear wheel bearings can not be changed from the rear hub, you have to buy them all together.

Dariooo

So If I instal a arm with drum I must only replace a drum and stub axle with disc, mount plate and her axle, right? :lol:

Why we can't replace only a bearing? In factory them instal a bearings inside the hub, so why I can't remove it and put inside the new one?

Thank you

Tom Fenton

You cannot change the bearing. If you do not believe me try and take one apart and see what you find.

Dariooo

Ok ok, I believe but I don't understant why we can change only a bearing.

Can somebody explain what mean toe??

Year--Model--Rear toe in (mm)--Rear negative camber(degrees/minutes)

1985-92--205 GTi 1.6+1.9/Rallye--3.60--0/50

1985-92--205+309 base--3.10--0/50

1993on--205 Cab+van+base--3.40--0/50

1986-90--309GTi--3.80--0/50

1990-93--309GTi+GTi16S--5.00--1/15

1994on--306 S16+GTi6--4.20--1/20

1997on--306 1.8 16v--3.40--1/20

1998on Xsara base--4.50--1/20

1998on Xsara VTS--5.00--1/20

1993on ZX base+16v--0.00-1/00

welshpug

toe measurement is how much the front of the wheels point in (or out)

To change a 1.9 rear wheel bearing you must change the complete hub, you cannot remove the bearing as the outer casing is machined from the hub, not a separate part like it is on a 1.6 drum.

drum type bearing

peugeot-106-205-306-citroen-saxo-xsara-rear-wheel-bearing-kit-1569-p.jpg

disc brake bearing

B8R-DkBWkKGrHqVisEzNeENGigBM2mj2jzw0_12.jpg

Edited by welshpug

Dariooo

I don't understand what measure a toe. Toe Measure a distance betwen front and rear wheel.....or between one pair of wheel (front or rear)...in which way?

I have looking here:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

image57.gif

When a pair of wheels is set so that their leading edges are pointed slightly towards each other, the wheel pair is said to have toe-in. If the leading edges point away from each other, the pair is said to have toe-out.

So a toe it's 0, the wheel are parallel?

Here a toe it's list in degreese.

Thank you

Dariooo

Nobody can explain what mean toe, because I don't understand. From which side is toe for rear wheer measure? From top, from side of car...from rear side...or? Why it ins't in degreese?

Thank you

SurGie
THIS will explain all.

Dariooo

Ok..so what you suggest? Which arm it's better to choose? That with toe 3...or with toe 5??

Thank you

shalmaneser

The Xsara VTS arms give some good negative camber, fit them.

Don't know what the effect of more toe in would be, i guess it would increase high speed stability, and less toe in would be more agile.

Dariooo

the negative camber gime a arm from more car (xsara, zx, 306) -1°....

I'm affraid about toe because I don't know which is better....

SurGie

It all depends on how you drive and what you want from it, so the best bet is to drive your car with only camber then with camber and toe arms to see which you prefer.

For me i am having the ZX just camber arms for the agility, there are many other factors with suspension that affects handling as well like thicker ARB (anti roll bar). The best thing is just spend time researching this forum because there are lots of information about handling here.

Toddy

ZX Arms for the track as it will be more agile if you're a driving god.

1997on--306 1.8 16v--3.40--1/20 - For the road as the toe in will help scrub some heat into the tyres, will also help stability if that is your preference. More toe equals more resistance as well.

If you fit ZX arms make sure your beam is aligned equally each side, otherwise you will have toe out on one side and toe in the other.

Dariooo

Toddy thank for explain.

I will renew my rear beam. The aligment of rear beam depend of..? How it's mount on a car ? I don't think because a hole aren't so bigger than a screw on a beam.

So if more toe mean more stability I will take a arm from Xsara (Toe = 4,5mm...).

More toe maybe will influence in tyre wear too?

I have take from a rear beam a hub and now I understand why we can change olny bearing. A hub it's a bearing...A hub it's outside sleeve.

Dariooo

Somebody maybe know how it's a car wide with another rear arm? It's wider than original right?

Thank you

Toddy
Toddy thank for explain.

I will renew my rear beam. The aligment of rear beam depend of..? How it's mount on a car ? I don't think because a hole aren't so bigger than a screw on a beam.

So if more toe mean more stability I will take a arm from Xsara (Toe = 4,5mm...).

More toe maybe will influence in tyre wear too?

I have take from a rear beam a hub and now I understand why we can change olny bearing. A hub it's a bearing...A hub it's outside sleeve.

Have a 4 wheel alignment done. I wouldn't worry about tyre wear with the amount of toe in, no 306/xsara drivers complain.

On your last question are you refering to a 309 beam which increases track by approx 20mm per side.

Dariooo

I'm searching for some 309 beam....but it's dificulty to find it.

I have some question about rear ARB. Original it's 21-22mm a diameter? Can I take from some antother car (ZX, Xsara...) some ARB with 23-24mm??

Anthony

Standard 205 GTi rear ARB is 19mm.

ZX 16v, 306 XSi/S16/GTi-6 and Phase 1 Xsara VTS models have a 24mm ARB, but as standard it's too long to fit into a 205 beam, and hence needs to be either cut and resplined, or cut and welded into the endplate.

Dariooo

It's possible to buy somewhere some upgradte to 24mm ARB with standard lenght for 205?

To weld ARB it's security? because there are very high forces....can it break??

Edited by Dariooo

Tom Fenton

The ARB can be welded successfully with the correct weld procedure and equipment, and post weld cooling. I've done about 5 now and none have cracked.

Dariooo

Can you tell somethnig more about weding (how to prepare a arb), how had you weld it, with procedure have you done, with type if welding had you use?

With cuting and welding ARB you not lose a characteristic of elasticty of ARB and lose some in stability?

Dariooo

I have found some picture with arb...so 309 have a 24mm arb? If I find a rear beam of 309 and I put a arm of xsara will be a good combination for good handling? A 309 all types have 309...or only gti (1.6, 1.9 and 1.916v)?

Thank you

post-13983-1292009215_thumb.jpg