• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Change Of Wheels

davey205

Just got myself some 1.9 wheels, will I need to get anything done to fit them such as the speedo recalibrated?

Tom Fenton

You'll probably find the speedo is close enough, if you have a sat nav cross check it using this.

SurGie

I would suggest driving past those flashing 30mph speedo lights if possible because i have been in more than 3 cars and the speedo on my tom tom at constant speed is always at least 2mph and at most around 4mph out, the satellite needs time to connect to the sat nav.

harryskid
I would suggest driving past those flashing 30mph speedo lights if possible because i have been in more than 3 cars and the speedo on my tom tom at constant speed is always at least 2mph and at most around 4mph out, the satellite needs time to connect to the sat nav.

Or a speed camera! :lol:

GLPoomobile

We've had this discussion before, and you are talking a load of pish.

Of course there is a delay in the signal. Depending on signal quality/strength due to the equipment in use and any obstructions (tall buildings, overhanging trees, cloudy sky etc) this is going to vary, but with modern equipment the delay should be minimal. But all of that is a total moot point when you are discussing constant speed. When travelling at a constant speed it doesn't matter whether the satellite signal delay is 2m/s or 2 minutes (so long as you are measuring the constant speed for more than 2 minutes, of course), because nothing is changing. Any delay in the signal will only be of significance during a change of speed, i.e. if accelerating rapidly and there is a significant signal delay it may show your speed as being 60mph when you have already reached 70mph.

As an example, there is a 50mph average speed zone on the A1 near Newcastle, that lasts for several miles and takes approx 15 minutes end to end if travelling at 50mph. I've been through this several times in recent months when travelling twixt London and Edinburgh. I usually set the cruise control so that I am travelling at 49/50mph on the sat nav (in this case a Garmin Nuvi). Since I'm travelling at a constat speed for 15 minutes, and have never suffered a signal issue there, I expect my sat-nav measured speed to be bob on. However, despite not exceeding the posted limit, I still get the flashing warning signs at the road side that tell me to SLOW DOWN.

The road signs that display your speed have always been spot on too, compared to my sat-nav speed.

If you've not found this to be the case then I would suggest that it's either becuase you weren't travelling at a constant speed when you entered the radar range of the sign (and your sat nav is still adjusting), or it's displaying the speed of another vehicle within range, or that particular sign has been calibrated to give a misleading readout (yes, I'm implying that the powers that be would employ dirty tactics to get us to slow down).

On a seperate note (but still on topic, sort of) the speedo calibration is hideous on most modern cars. Everything I've driven in recent years that was fairly modern has over-read, with the worst being a 307 that showed 35mph when I was doing 30mph. All my 205s have been bob on, and my current one is within 0.5mph from 0-70mph, and about +- 1-2mph from 70 to 130.

EDIT: Or the other possibility is that Tom Toms are just really s*it :lol:

Edited by GLPoomobile

Flozman
Just got myself some 1.9 wheels, will I need to get anything done to fit them such as the speedo recalibrated?

Back on topic... No.

Peetypug

i've got 1.9 wheels on mine and its no different

the speedo needle still wobbles like fook!

TT205

It's not the wheels, it's the tyre size!!

Providing the wheels/tyres you had on before were original to the car, use the tyre size calculator on this page

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Enter your original tyre size, followed by your new tyre size and this will tell you the difference (speed wise) of the two

eg if you went from a 185 65 14 on a 1.6 (14") rim to a 195 50 15 on a 1.9 (15" rim) then at 70mph your speedo will over read by just over 2mph compared to the original

Edited by TT205

blessed6383

thats a handy guide so my 17's are only just running over 1% bigger

JRL
i've got 1.9 wheels on mine and its no different

I was always under the impression the speedo cable stretches and im sure they do but a around a year ago i had the dial surround off and at the back I pushed a cable in that was slightly loose Im not sure if its just luck or like hitting it with a hammer sort of thing but now the neddle no longer flickers.

SurGie

Thats right, the speed signs are correct yet my tom tom is still 2mph out at least when driving past them. I dont mean disturbing the signal i meant the signal going from car to satellite takes time to regulate, not sure how much though. I have tested it again and again, on motorways and 30mph limits yet its still the same. Im not saying all sat navs are wrong just that they cant be that accurate, or at least mine isn't.

To sum it up. To say they are totally accurate without proper testing is the same as saying many cars speedos are inaccurate, there is no real evidence to say either way is there ?

GLPoomobile

So we've established that

a} you don't need to do anything about the speedo when fitting 1.9 alloys to a 1.6

b} Tom Toms (or at least Surgie's Tom Tom) are inaccurate :lol:

SurGie

I have found that it's the speed cable to be at fault when the speedo wobbles, fit a new one it should work steady.

Peetypug

was being sarcastic :lol:

Edited by sorrentopete

davey205
It's not the wheels, it's the tyre size!!

Providing the wheels/tyres you had on before were original to the car, use the tyre size calculator on this page

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Enter your original tyre size, followed by your new tyre size and this will tell you the difference (speed wise) of the two

eg if you went from a 185 65 14 on a 1.6 (14") rim to a 195 50 15 on a 1.9 (15" rim) then at 70mph your speedo will over read by just over 2mph compared to the original

Thanks for that guide, provided i stay to those sizes a little overread then, no problem ill dust off the talex as a backup.