• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thomasrally

Top Mounts For Forest Use?

thomasrally

Hi all

I've got a forest spec 205 which I'm trying to find some new strut top mounts for, the front legs are Bilstein 2 1/4 coilovers and so I don't think the standard group n peugeot top mounts fit otherwise I'd probably just use those with the uprated bushes so i guess I'm after some recommendations of what top mounts to go for?

The ones I'm replacing are eccentric compbrake ones which just weren't upto the job to be honest and the PTS top mounts I think are around £200 for the pair which is more than I want to spend ideally......any recommendations?

welshpug

There's not many options really, either go back to the standard top mounts and use BBM stiffer rubbers and the nice and cheap standard bearings, to do this you'd need a new top spring pan.

Or spend that extra on the Pugsport topmounts, which if they are still the ones I have seen have a larger bearing than the generic lump of alloy with loads of holes drilled in it items.

BBM do now make a top mount with a large spherical bearing, but they cost more than what you said the Pugsport ones do and are adjustable, a similar price to the AST adjustable topmounts IIRC.

Otherwise, you could just replace the bearing in the compbrake items?

thomasrally

Has anyone tried these particular top mounts from compbrake or know if their any good?

compbrake top mounts

welshpug

they're the same as what you've already got just with less holes in them.

thomasrally
they're the same as what you've already got just with less holes in them.

Their the concentric ones rather than the eccentric thats all but on closer inspetion last night it looks like the rosejoint is worn out rather than the ally top amount itself so I'm wondering whether to take a pop at buying these as they are or having a pair made exactly like these in steel

Decisions decisions!

Tom Fenton

Why would you bother having the mount made of steel when it is the bearing that is the problem?

I would have another set of alloy mounts turned up to take a much larger and therefore stronger bearing, sorted. Although for a gravel car any kind of rose joint will not last forever and has to be treated as a service item, so you could just fit a new pair of bearings to the ones you have and see how they last?

thomasrally
Why would you bother having the mount made of steel when it is the bearing that is the problem?

I would have another set of alloy mounts turned up to take a much larger and therefore stronger bearing, sorted. Although for a gravel car any kind of rose joint will not last forever and has to be treated as a service item, so you could just fit a new pair of bearings to the ones you have and see how they last?

Your probably right tom though I wouldnt use eccentric mounts again, these were just what was on the car originally so im just trying to make sure i make the right decision with whatever i end up buying

Tom Fenton

Personally I think the additional castor that the eccentric top mounts give is a good improvement to the turn in of the car, so I wouldn't junk them just yet.

Rippthrough

Sandwich a bit of rubber sheet between the top mount and the car, it'll help take the worst of the shock loads to the bearings out then.