• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
edbar

Too Long Brake Pedal Travel

edbar

Recently fitted my 406 non abs master cylinder to the 205 and the travel is really long before it starts to apply the brakes. They are bled fine as they dont creep when pedal is down. Read about adjusting the piston? How is this done as the pedal travel is horrific at the mo!

Thanks for any help

Edd

pug_ham

This topic might help for how to adjust but it mentions the length you need.

Can't remember if its usually the other way though, brakes staying on with the 406 mc so you need to shorten the servo rod.

You haven't left the washers under the m/c instead of under the nuts have you? (its been done before).

Also, what servo have you fitted? An XS has a smaller servo iirc, 178mm against 229mm.

Graham.

edbar

Washers are right but it does have the xs servo! Balls, just scrapped the 309 aswell!

pug_ham

TBH the XS servo shouldn't make alot of difference to the pedal travel imo assuming the bar is set to the correct length mentioned in the linked topic but it will mean you'll have less servo assistance so need a firmer prod of the pedal to get the braking performance you're after.

Graham.

Anthony

Are you sure it's bled properly? I normally find it takes me a few goes to get the system bled properly when a new MC is fitted.

Excessive travel usually just means there's air trapped in the system somewhere in my experience, whereas I've usually found that the pedal creeping under pressure is because there's a leak somewhere or the seals are failing on the MC.

Usually, 406 MC's normally need the rod winding in a touch as they can bind when hot otherwise - I've not heard of one that needs the rod winding out because the travel is excessive.

stuart1298

did u bleed the master cylinder? or just bolt it on then bleed the brakes as normal?? i had a simlar problem....

edbar

Bolted the mc on then bled as normal, fitted the compensators from the 309 in line aswell. Pedal travel is long and almost no braking efficiency, will try re-bleeding first maybe?

thanks

stuart1298

unbolt 1 pipe at a time, first the rears and bleed till the fliud comes out, refit hose, and carry out the same thing on the next one, in the same order as below and so on, then start from the n/s/r then o/s/r, then n/s/f then o/s/f, that

edbar

Will try that stuart, brakes are so poor I cant drive it back from the workshops at the mo!

Thanks

Edd

stuart1298

mine was like that, gotta do it all again now, as i've got the new servo, oh joy, it it doesnt work, try blanking the rear ones off, if nothing changes, do each caliper at a time, proccess of elmination

Bas
mine was like that, gotta do it all again now, as i've got the new servo, oh joy, it it doesnt work, try blanking the rear ones off, if nothing changes, do each caliper at a time, proccess of elmination

On my 205 with xsara servo and 23 Partner MC the servo was the cause of long break travel.