• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo309

Installing Quaife Quickrack

Tom Fenton

Has anyone tried to buy a new bearing from Peugeot?

Paul_13

Me and ryan have done 2 quickracks between us.

Mine is a splined rack

Ryans is a square rack casing BUT using a spline quaife quick rack.

We got the bearing off AlanM and all went together spotless.

SurGie
Has anyone tried to buy a new bearing from Peugeot?

I did this as well Tom and they only sell the rack and ends separately unfortunately :)

Oh and i spoke to Nick today and he said that he will use the bearing from a new rack im buying and fit it all together for me and said he's not too sure about the idea of making the larger bearing smaller to fit ???

Surely the people that do these recon racks have a supplier that makes them or do they get them from pug because they are a business ?

Edited by SurGie

Stevo309
Oh and i spoke to Nick today and he said that he will use the bearing from a new rack im buying and fit it all together for me and said he's not too sure about the idea of making the larger bearing smaller to fit ???

Surely the people that do these recon racks have a supplier that makes them or do they get them from pug because they are a business ?

Nick must know a way of getting the bearings off then? My rack is a very recently installed gsf recon so it might be the case that the bearing isn't too bad to remove? I guess it depends on what is actually replaced when they recondition, if they don't actually replace the pinion it may be just shimmer to remove slop. Anyway we'll see when I strip it down.

The recon companies must have bearings as you say and also the manufacturers of the original rack. Problem is tracking them down, they could be in the far east for all we know.

Alan_M
Me and ryan have done 2 quickracks between us.

Mine is a splined rack

Ryans is a square rack casing BUT using a spline quaife quick rack.

We got the bearing off AlanM and all went together spotless.

I have a few more 6002 bearings here, they have rubber shield though rather than ZZ metal ones. Only for spline type pinions. If anybody wants one, PM me and it'll cost you sod all!

SurGie

Hi Steve,

Just to let you know, Nick from Shenpar has sorted out my flat drive rack using the bits from a recon one. He said he pulled the bearing out from the recon rack and used the casing for my quick rack kit.

So it is possible to get sorted out.

swordfish210

But if you had done it the way i did mine it would have been done ages ago, plus i don't have to buy a recon rack if i ever want a new bearing for my pinion.

SurGie

I wanted all the new stuff it comes with any way, so my quick rack is all new and shiny and i also dont have the tools to do it my self anyhoo.

Stevo309

Surgie, glad you got it sorted mate, let me know how the steering feels etc.

I'm no further forward with mine but hoping to get under the car in the holiday break in the next few days to get the rack off. The plan first off is to use the current bearing if possible as I have nothing to lose trying that first. If the bearing gets damaged I'll machine the pinion down to take the 6002 standard bearing.

Good to know it's possible to get the old bearing out and as mine is a recent recon rack you never know!

SurGie

Will do Steve, but i will be fitting it within a few months time, say early March once the full recon/conversion is finished.

I did ask Euro car parts if they replace the bearing with a new one but i did not get an answer, they tried to avoid it tbh, but that was by e-mail.

swordfish210
I'll machine the pinion down to take the 6002 standard bearing.

It's a 6003 bearing for the square drive, 6002 is the smaller one suitable for a spline drive pinion.