• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo309

Installing Quaife Quickrack

Stevo309

My 205 handling overhall is nearly complete. I'm very happy with it in all respects except the steering ratio. In order to keep it standard looking under the bonnet and retain the new lower column i have fitted etc i have opted for a Quaife quickrack which is sitting here on my desk. It's a non-pas model by the way and the rack is actually a new (refurbed) unit from GSF so i have no problem in removing it.

Before i get stuck in to install it i have a few questions:

• Are there any special tools i need to take apart the rack?
  • Can the rubber belows on either end be re-used?
  • The new rack and pinion are covered in a sticky substance presumably to prevent rust, should this be cleaned off and what with? Petrol? Engine cleaner?
  • Is it possible to re-use the existing pinion bush/bearing and if not where can i get a replacement and what are the dimensions?
  • When i re-assemble it all how should it be lubricated? Grease or oil?

Thanks for any help you can give

Alan_M
My 205 handling overhall is nearly complete. I'm very happy with it in all respects except the steering ratio. In order to keep it standard looking under the bonnet and retain the new lower column i have fitted etc i have opted for a Quaife quickrack which is sitting here on my desk. It's a non-pas model by the way and the rack is actually a new (refurbed) unit from GSF so i have no problem in removing it.

Before i get stuck in to install it i have a few questions:

• Are there any special tools i need to take apart the rack?
  • Can the rubber belows on either end be re-used?
  • The new rack and pinion are covered in a sticky substance presumably to prevent rust, should this be cleaned off and what with? Petrol? Engine cleaner?
  • Is it possible to re-use the existing pinion bush/bearing and if not where can i get a replacement and what are the dimensions?
  • When i re-assemble it all how should it be lubricated? Grease or oil?

Thanks for any help you can give

You'll need some Stilsons to undo the track rods from the rack itself. The gaitors usually get wrecked on removal but are available at GSF. You'll find it hard to remove the pinion bearing complete, so will need another. I had a load of them at work but that supply has been exhausted. If you let me know the number I might be able to sort something (I believe they're the same bearings used in our burner motors and we're just about to overhaul two of them so 'could' order spares :( ). Use grease, can't remember the stuff I used but also grease the track rods balljoints. Also, there is big plastic stop on one end of the rack. I was advised to replace this with a bronze stop as the plastic ones collapse under hard use apparently. Not sure where you'll get that from as my rack & stop came from WMMS who went under some time ago.

Whats the lock on a Quaife rack? My WMMS is 2.4 and is kart-like :P

Stevo309

Thanks for the advice. I believe the Quaife rack is 2.7 turns lock to lock. I wasn't particularly looking for such a quick rack but the standard non-pas rack is like steering a ship, i would probably rather have standard PAS on there but this is a quicker and easier install for now. Just hope it's not too hard to park.

It did come supplied with a new phosphor bronze stop/bush for the end of the rack so that's cool. I just need to get a new pinion bearing. Would the bearing number be stamped into it? Thanks for the offer to help out with that. Was hoping to get a new bearing ready before i start the job as i've read that they need to be replaced ideally.

Alan_M
Thanks for the advice. I believe the Quaife rack is 2.7 turns lock to lock. I wasn't particularly looking for such a quick rack but the standard non-pas rack is like steering a ship, i would probably rather have standard PAS on there but this is a quicker and easier install for now. Just hope it's not too hard to park.

It did come supplied with a new phosphor bronze stop/bush for the end of the rack so that's cool. I just need to get a new pinion bearing. Would the bearing number be stamped into it? Thanks for the offer to help out with that. Was hoping to get a new bearing ready before i start the job as i've read that they need to be replaced ideally.

Yep, should be a number stamped on it. If it's not or is unreadable, I'll have a search on here as I've helped others with the same thing :(

The bearings differ between PAS and non-PAS pinions.

Stevo309

Thanks again. Yes i did read this thread before and others which is what prompted my topic as it left me with questions unanswered. Mine is the same as Swordfish, i have the square drive pinion, non PAS.

So that certainly means it won't be 6002?

I too can turn down an oversized bearing if it comes to it but prefer not to obviously.

I have calipers so i can measure the external diameter of the new pinion if that helps?

Alan_M
Thanks again. Yes i did read this thread before and others which is what prompted my topic as it left me with questions unanswered. Mine is the same as Swordfish, i have the square drive pinion, non PAS.

So that certainly means it won't be 6002?

I too can turn down an oversized bearing if it comes to it but prefer not to obviously.

I have calipers so i can measure the external diameter of the new pinion if that helps?

Yes, give me some measurements and I'll see what I can do. Otherwise try this lot http://www.onlinebearings.co.uk/

swordfish210

I'll throw in my 2p here. I did have trouble finding a bearing size to fit and as Quaife wouldn't tell me what size bearing they had desinged the pinion to fit i took the easy option and had the pinion turned down. It can't be done in a lathe (unless you know someone who has diamond cutting tools) so find an engineering comepany with a cylindrical grinder....unless Alan can't help you with a bearing that is.

swordfish210

I might be taking my rack apart for an inspection next year so i'll put a rebuild guide/Quaife fitting guide up as this question does seem to get asked quite often

Stevo309

I might take photos and notes as i go, i agree it would be a worthwhile guide as it comes up from time to time.

Right i have managed to measure up with the calipers...

The outer diameter of the Quaife pinion (flat drive) is 19mm above the teeth and 10mm below the teeth. I assume the bearing runs on the thicker upper part? So that gives us the internal measurement for our bearing?

SurGie

I have now subscribed to your thread, cheers.

Stevo309

Alan I have measured up and evidently need a bearing of the following spec

ID 19mm

OD 35mm

Depth 10mm

I realise this is an odd size, can you help please?

I'd be interested to know what the standard square drive pinion bearing is and if different from the above why Quaife would choose to make a pinion tha requires a different bearing.

swordfish210

Thats what i tried to get out of them, i asked what bearing they had desinged the pinion too and they wouldn't give me an answer saying they had no idea. Useless nobends!

Alan_M
Alan I have measured up and evidently need a bearing of the following spec

ID 19mm

OD 35mm

Depth 10mm

I realise this is an odd size, can you help please?

I'd be interested to know what the standard square drive pinion bearing is and if different from the above why Quaife would choose to make a pinion tha requires a different bearing.

On a jolly with work right now, but I'll see what we've got on Monday :lol:

Stevo309

Ok buddy thanks for that.

I've done quite a lot of searching and this indeed a difficult size bearing to get. I have an SKF part number but nobody i have contacted so far stocks it.

I can't help thinking that there must be a way to remove the old bearing so i'll go down that route unless i find a bearing in the meantime. I'll bit the bullet i think and remove the rack anyway this week and start stripping it down. I bet the bearing is pressed down onto the teeth of the pinion which means a puller on it will only be pulling the outer race, if i machine away some of the teeth and get a collar under the bearing i'm hoping it possible to smack the shaft through.

Alan_M
Ok buddy thanks for that.

I've done quite a lot of searching and this indeed a difficult size bearing to get. I have an SKF part number but nobody i have contacted so far stocks it.

I can't help thinking that there must be a way to remove the old bearing so i'll go down that route unless i find a bearing in the meantime. I'll bit the bullet i think and remove the rack anyway this week and start stripping it down. I bet the bearing is pressed down onto the teeth of the pinion which means a puller on it will only be pulling the outer race, if i machine away some of the teeth and get a collar under the bearing i'm hoping it possible to smack the shaft through.

Thats precisely the trouble I had. We tried a hydraulic puller on the bearing and it still didn't budge. Thankfully we had the right size bearing in stock at work for a spline pinion. I'll have a look tomorrow for bearings but the square pinion is a twat size.

Tom Fenton

Let me know the SKF number.

Stevo309

Well this page lists 3 different ones and i'm not sure what these bearing types would be but we need a standard ball bearing i understand:

http://www.mrcbearingservice.com/Product.a...e=&page=437

Part numbers showing:

CR 19X35X10 HMSA7 R

CR 19X35X10 HMS46 R

CR 19X35X10 CRSH11 R

I've spoken to Shenpar today who were very helpful and said he would ask his bearing supplier but in the past he seemed to think it was possible to get this bearing.

He also confirmed that they no longer sell the complete Quick Rack.

SurGie

What do you mean complete quick rack, what parts of it are missing then ?

Alan_M

You'll want a sealed type bearing too (ZZ after numbers for metal seal)....keep all the crud out as those rubber covers over the top of the pinion melt with the exhaust being so close, or just fall off!

SurGie

Iv just spoken to Pug and Shenpar.

Pug say the splined type are for the pre 91 cars and the flat type are for the later cars, but their system dont state that the lower column (4103A8) is the flat type exactly and their pictures of the UJ column are not very good.

Shenpar say they now only sell the inner rack parts and can fit it to the rack with new bush etc for a charge of coarse.

Edited by SurGie

Stevo309
Shenpar say they now only sell the inner rack parts and can fit it to the rack with new bush etc for a charge of coarse.

Which presumably does mean that they can get the bearing for the flat drive pinion.

I'm waiting for a call from them anyway, as I say he's getting in contact with the bearing supplier they use.

SurGie

Yes, i'm waiting for a call back as well.

I was told it will be around £15 for the bearing..

SurGie

Right iv spoken to Leicester bearings and they are a supplier of bearings and said that only 17 & 20 mm are available, nothing in-between are available. The 19 mm are made specifically by the manufacturers and are copy right or something similar. I was told the best thing to do is to get an engineer to sleeve a 17mm so it will fit correctly.

Any thoughts on this ?

Stevo309

Nick at Shenpar came back to me yesterday and he said his bearing supplier can't supply this size but he feels absolutely sure they have converted a square pinion rack before and managed to get the bearing from somewhere. He said he'll keep looking but to be fair to him i'm not sure why he'd want to spend a load of time on it to them make a £10 sale on a single bearing.

I haven't yet found the right bearing myself although i have located an alternator bearing at 19x37x9 which is pretty close and would require the outer casing of the bearing to be machined down which it might not take. I'm not sure what you mean by sleeving a 17mm bearing, it simply won't go on the shaft. I considered bearings with a larger internal or smaller external and sleeving but haven't really found anything viable for that either.

As i see it at the moment i don't have anything to lose by attempting a removal of the existing bearing even if it means drilling the old pinion out. If this fails then probably the next best option is to have the new pinion turned down to 17mm which will allow a standard 6003 bearing.

I'll post up results of how it goes and photos anyway.