• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewm

Changing Steering Bellows

matthewm

Started changing the track-rods on my power rack today, have a 3 part gaiter kit coming tomorrow, but looking at the outer gaiter on the passenger side (one that covers the track-rod ball-joint) cant see how the hell to change that one. Any help please?

Alan_M

Remove the track rods, fit bellows, re-fit track rods.

matthewm
Started changing the track-rods on my power rack today, have a 3 part gaiter kit coming tomorrow, but looking at the outer gaiter on the passenger side (one that covers the track-rod ball-joint) cant see how the hell to change that one. Any help please?

Are you familiar with the gaiter I mentioned, as highlighted above Alan M, which seems to be moulded in to the ring which the ram bolts to?

Or does it become obvious when the kit arrives that the old one needs to be cut out and the replacement fits over?

Alan_M

When I rebuilt my rack to a quick-rack, the gaitor kit I got consisted of a gaitor for each side, 2 x clips for securing gaitor to rack body & track-rod and some grease. Fitting them was just a matter of sliding over the track rods (without TRE's fitted). Holding them back whilst securing the track rods to the rack itself was the hardest bit.

Have you a picture of this gaitor kit?

Anthony

The kit for PAS racks is slightly different Alan - the drivers side is the same as non-PAS, but the passenger side (where the ram connects) is different and uses a two part gaitor - one part covers the rack sort of underneath the ram, and the other part covers just the track rod ball joint.

matthewm

Tried to get a pic on to show you Alan, although pain in the arse saving pics with my netbook, ebay item: 260671736769,

The one on the top left.

ade 4wd

The outer gaiter on the passenger side of a PAS rack just pushes on (tight fit).