• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hatemgti

205 Rear Strut Brace?

allye

Never seen these before! Also interested.

gtmotorsport

To be honest most I have seen have been made by the car's owner and only really used as a harness bar. I don't see any other advantage in truth due to the rear suspension setup.

Henry 1.9GTi

umm, there are no struts in the rear.

It says it fits between the arches, you would be better off bracing between where the beam actually bolts to the shell.

Edited by Henry 1.9GTi

Tom Fenton

Total waste of time and effort. Will achieve nothing.

JRL

I was talking to an AA chap who had one of these rear arch braces in his back in the day. he said it stopped the rear of the shell flexing. But I cant see it doing much its not attached to the rear beam.

hatemgti
I was talking to an AA chap who had one of these rear arch braces in his back in the day. he said it stopped the rear of the shell flexing. But I cant see it doing much its not attached to the rear beam.

That is the same i was told too by some one in my country.

Edited by hatemgti

Tom Fenton

On something like a Golf GTI with turrets then I see the point. On a 205 absolutely not. Look under the boot floor- there is already a crossmember which makes the beam mounting points quite stiff already.

McDude

Fashion accessory.

Wes

i had one of those a few years ago, cant remember the name of the company that made it though.

DSC01217.jpg

Batfink

it bolts on to a non structural part of the car, so is pointless. The arches are also not very strong and its also not a great idea so attach harnesses to either.

The rear beam probably would stiffen the chassis more..

Miles

I know Spox did them, but as said complete waste of time and quite dangerious to attach any harness's to due to the thin'ness of the metal there

gtmotorsport

I certainly wouldn't use one as harness bar, I just made reference to what I have seen. I prefer to see rear harness straps go to a roll cage bar if possible, they are then generally at a nicer angle and mounted to the most solid part of a 205!

Henry Yorke
I know Spoox did them, but as said complete waste of time and quite dangerious to attach any harness's to due to the thin'ness of the metal there

+1 I think you may fail your MOT if your standard seatbelt was mounted to the inner arch at the back as I would not class it as a secure mounting point. The metal is about as thick as the roof there! Also you cannot really run a strengthening plae and big bolts on the outer part of the arch due to the close proximity of the wheel and the tendency for these to gain neg camber over time