• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
grantley1988

Gaz Coilovers

grantley1988

Weel the sun was out for once! So i thought i would take the wheels of the arches and clean and seal the car for winter. As i was scrubbing away, i could quite freely move the spring around. Both sides were like this.

So when i put the wheels back on and lowerd the car to the ground. I made sure i held the spring so they slid into the top cup correctly and when they compressed everything is fine.

Is this how they are meant to be?

Could be a stupid question but i thought i would ask!!!

welshpug

It is if you're running the car a bit low, you can get helper springs if its an issue.

pug_ham

If they are loose at full droop with the wheel off the ground then it could be an mot failure so you either need to get helper springs as suggested by Mei or raise the locking collar (& car) so its in contact, even only lightly.

Graham.

j_turnell

Slightly different but on Westfields i drill through the top collor that secures the spring each side and lockwire to hold them in place.

pug_ham
Slightly different but on Westfields i drill through the top collor that secures the spring each side and lockwire to hold them in place.

Yeah, you can do that on any car with springs that become loose at full droop & it can't fail the MOT for it because they are held in place so thats another option tbh.

Graham.

Batfink

Its a bit of a bodge though. Its not expensive to get coilover springs that do the job.