• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
willmounsey

Fuel Filler Neck Removal/re-fitting

willmounsey

I tackled this job myself a wee while back so I thought I'd do a little write up.

My filler cap wasn't locking because of the plastic lip had broke on the filler neck

IMG_0256.jpg

Fortunately I had a spare so I cracked on with it.

First off I got the car up on axle stands and removed the wheel to allow the needed access to the filler pipe, then I removed the jubilee clips from the two pipes leading to the tank.

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

Once the thinner of the two pipes has been pulled out there's a 10mm nut behind it which was pretty rusty on mine so lots of WD40 was used to remove.

IMG_0254.jpg

Then I removed the two hex/star shaped screws where the filler cap fits (the two in the first pic).

Once loose the thicker of the two pipes where it joins to the tank can be wiggled out (I found with the tank dropped a little it helped with this).

IMG_0261.jpg

Now back to the top of the pipe, I removed the inside plastic trim in the rear to allow access to the filler pipe inside the car.

IMG_0260.jpg

There's a big rubber cover that fits around the pipe which can be removed by pushing it up from underneath, then pull the cover and pipe down (a little fiddly as the rubber cover is the same size as the hole its being pulled through)

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

willmounsey

I removed the rubber cover which was held on with one cable tie.

IMG_0269.jpg

Transferred the breather pipes and wee filter to new filler neck.

IMG_0273.jpg

Refitted rubber cover and cable tied breather pips to tidy.

Refitting is the same as removal, the rubber cover is a little tricky to get back in place but working both inside and out of the car its not that bad.

Once thats been seen to refit the two pipes leading to the tank ( I replaced all jubee clips whilst I was at it) then the 10mm nut and two hex/star screws to secure all.

Tighten the tank back up (if you lowered it that is) and jobs done.

Will

saveloy

Nice one.

Now best change your rear brake calipers. They're knackered.

willmounsey
Nice one.

Now best change your rear brake calipers. They're knackered.

:lol: nope there new items, only done about 500 miles.

saveloy

Well, your discs are showing a large outer lip of rust.

That is normally indicative of a worn caliper, where the piston isn't protruding straight.

Check your seals. But at the very least you require new discs!

willmounsey
Well, your discs are showing a large outer lip of rust.

That is normally indicative of a worn caliper, where the piston isn't protruding straight.

Check your seals. But at the very least you require new discs!

Believe it or not there new disc's, the car had been sat for about 7 months in those photo's through a very harsh winter outside and it had only been moved around the yard a couple of times, sorry I should of pointed out that the cars been sat for a while not doing much.

ha, just as I think I've got most of the problems sorted something new crops up! cheers for pointing that out to me as I would of over looked this matter or not even noticed. It'll be next year before anything will be done with it but I will now bear in mind that this needs to be seen to, I hope new disc's will do though.

Will

Tom Fenton

If the car hasn't been used much don't do anything until you've used the brakes hard a few times. You will probably find the discs clean up just fine.

saveloy

Agreed. Though it would be prudent to check the outer seals and tend to any perishing, before it gets too harsh.

willmounsey

Cheers for the info guys and when I start I'll cheak the seals and make sure there ok.

I've to pull most of it to bits anyway to sort a few niggles and santa's bringing me a new drive shaft because ECP ones are crap! dosen't mate with the hub so a GKN one from GSF is on order.

Cheers again B)

Will