• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smithy

Paint?

smithy

I am going to be getting shot of my faded cherry red in the coming months and after a bit of advice.

A friend is a dab hand with spray gun so getting painted is no problem it will be done in cherry still but not as base and clear,I am going for standard gloss paint so it can be cut back easily if required on future.

Does anyone have an idea of how many litres of paint I need to purchase the paint i am going to use is thinned 1:1 with thinners.

Tom Fenton

From your 1:1 mix with thinners it sounds like you plan to use cellulose? If so I would strongly recommend not to bother, I painted a couple of panels on my car in celly and not 2 years later they looked like crazy paving. Talking to my man at the paint factor he said celly is not what is used to be as most is made from recycled solvents and not virgin solvent.

In any case I now use 2 pack.

steve@cornwall
From your 1:1 mix with thinners it sounds like you plan to use cellulose? If so I would strongly recommend not to bother, I painted a couple of panels on my car in celly and not 2 years later they looked like crazy paving. Talking to my man at the paint factor he said celly is not what is used to be as most is made from recycled solvents and not virgin solvent.

In any case I now use 2 pack.

I always believed the crazy paving effect stemmed from spraying too much paint too thickly and too quickly between coats? I hae a few shrinkage marks on the edge of my bonnet because of this. Guy I knew used to mix the paint then leave the reservoir in hot water to heat it through before painting- worked very well!

Tom Fenton

If it happens straight away after painting yes, but mine took 2 years to come through- UV degredation was what it was put down to. In any case I won't use celly again now.

smithy

yes i was planning on using celly paint.

i thought 2 pack was now illegal due to being very dangerous???

Tom Fenton

You can still get 2 pack, you do need to use a proper mask when spraying though.

flyfisher

hi use 2k thats 2 pac as its veryhard warring will not chip easilly and will not fade if it was my car id use a solid base coat and a 2k high solid clearcoat for a long lasting nice finish hope this helps peter

Paintguy
i thought 2 pack was now illegal due to being very dangerous???

Nope. Until they come up with a better alternative that's what we're stuck with for the foreseeable future. VOC emissions have been reduced by using water borne base colours and higher solid paints and clearcoats, but 2K is here to stay.

As Tom says, celly shouldn't be your first choice for a long lasting job.

SurGie
You can still get 2 pack, you do need to use a proper mask when spraying though.

I'll be hiring the breathing respirator from HSS before i start spraying my engine bay and at the back-beam areas, however im a little worried about the toxic air inside the garage after the job is done.

How long should i wait until it's safe to go inside again, after opening the door/windows etc ?

Would i need the mask when pouring into the spray gun etc?

Cheers.