• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tdr_1976

Front Wheel Hubs.

tdr_1976

The MOT is due on my 205XS in three weeks, the only thing mechanically I have found on it is that there is play on both front wheel hubs.

I recently purchased a K reg 205 Diesel as both future project car and parts donor [wheel hubs, ARB, brake callipers and anything else that might come in handy for the car].

This evening, I took off both hubs from the diesel pug only to find that both of them are exactly the same as the ones on my XS - DOH!

Am I right in thinking that this is a common fault on these? Or, have I been unlucky?

Finally, where would I be able to buy two new hubs?

Cheers!

:D

welshpug

do you mean play in the wheel bearings?

tdr_1976

When I move the hub centre, I can see the outer race of the wheel bearing moving inside the rear of the hub, where the bearing clip is, almost as if it's oval.

Edited by tdr_1976

alync406

Had you the driveshaft in and tightened when the play was in it? as there will be play ayway if you had'nt. If you had I would expect it to be the bearing at fault, dont think I have seen a hub on one wearing there.

tdr_1976

I had the hubs off the car. It's not the axial movement that's worrying me, it's the radial movement that's got me concerned, as you could see the outer bearing race moving inside the hub inner surface.

tdr_1976

Is it just a simple case of a bearing replacement or do the hubs wear?

Help <_<

Tom Fenton

Sounds like the hubs have stretched, I've only ever seen this on hard used gravel cars before. New hubs needed for you at a guess, worth trying a new wheel bearing though possibly, if it will drop in with no press needed then they are knackered.

tdr_1976

I'll get a new bearing tomorrow and give it a try!!

:D

davev

are you sure its not the grease cap/dust cover you can see moving? i only ask as with the sirclip in you can only see a very little bit of the outer race.

ive personaly never saw a hub wear around the outer race, and i can only think of how bad the bearing would have to be to pick up the race.