• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Matt205

Rear Brake Fluid Leaking - Slave Cyclinder?

Matt205

Hi All,

I can see the rear brake drum has a very significant brake fluid leak, which appear to be coming from inside the assembly. The brake pedal will slowly push all the way to the floor under pressure. I assume this has to be the slave cyclinder. Is this an easy fix? I assume strip the drum, replace the cyclinder, bleed the brake and that's about it? Do I need to replace the brake shoes and/or drum due to contamination (there is a lot of fluid on the back plate and inside the alloy.

Thanks

Matt

Tom Fenton

As you say it will be a wheel cylinder that has failed. It sounds pretty bad, so I think to be right you will also need to replace the brake shoes as you say. Providing the drum is not badly worn you can clean this with brake cleaner and re-use it.

I would consider replacing the cylinder both sides whilst you are at it, you will have to take the other side to pieces anyway to replace the shoes, as these need to be done as a car set.

Matt205

Thanks Tom. I was always going to replace shoes on both sides, but replacing both cylinders is also a good idea.

Tom Fenton

Do not be suprised if the brake lines also need some work, often they have not been moved for years and so shear/round off as soon as you try to do anything with them. The best method to tackle them if they will not come out is to cut the pipe where it joins the flexi, then undo the pipe fitting with a 6-point socket. Then flare and fit new lines from the flexis to the new wheel cylinders.