• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

P40 Fibre Glass Repair Paste,

SurGie

Having read that body filler is not always good enough to stop the rust growing underneath, what do people think about using this STUFF instead of filler ?

Has anyone used it with good results ?

Cheers.

Bigtimmy

Personally I wouldn't use it.

You'll find it much harder to sand back to a good finish and will probably have to skim with "normal" filler to get it somewhere near good enough to paint.

I'd be grinding out as much as you can and coating with some sort of rust inhibitor and then I'd personally give it a few coats of a really good epoxy based primer before filling and spraying with the colour of your choice.

I've used a similar product on boat repairs to good effect, as it has strands of glassfibre in it which give it strength which normal P38 doesn't have.

Up to you though, give it a go.

Leet205

As long as the metal underneath the filler is clean/rust free and its primered/painted to seal it you wont have any problems. No need to fibreglass unless its a massive repair. Also fiberglass is a bitch to sand.

Edit - beaten to it!

Edited by Leet205

SurGie

I bought the stuff for a hole in the roof on another car but it will also be used at the bottom of the windscreen pillar where it meets the wing on my 205 GTI, i have seen a few 205's with rust in the same area. I'm glad its going to be strong stuff & im not bothered about the sanding just as long as it wont rust underneath.

The area will be brought back to bare metal again then ill put it straight on top of the primer.

Edited by SurGie

DrSarty

The last sentence is the only bit that really makes sense. Filler is filler; it's not designed to stop rust, just fill voids, bridge gaps, make up new contours and then create a smooth surface for primer and paint.

It has no properties as a rust inhibitor at all, other than it not being made of non-protected metal.

As you said, clean it all back and use a rust inhibitor plus a primer like red oxide which I believe protects and provides a base for painting.

Treat rust and filler as two separate things/processes.

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

I would most certainly not use it on the windscreen frame, just get the rot chopped out and new metal welded in.

shalmaneser
I would most certainly not use it on the windscreen frame, just get the rot chopped out and new metal welded in.

Yeah this. It's a structural joint, not something you want made out of filler!

harryskid

I used that stuff once and that was on a mini and it sure does not stop rust, as said the cure is to chop it out and weld it.! :D

Anthony
I used that stuff once and that was on a mini and it sure does not stop rust, as said the cure is to chop it out and weld it.! B)

To be fair, does *anything* stop rust on a Mini? :D

welshpug

yeah, buying a new galv shell :D

harryskid
To be fair, does *anything* stop rust on a Mini? :D

My cure was to get rid of the mini! B)

SurGie

Its only surface rust but putting some weld on it then smoothing it down seems a better idea as long as i get the right amount of power on the mig.

Leet205

watch out for warping the metal then!

SurGie

I did think that but as its only surface rust ill still use the P40, as its hard to sand should mean it's strong enough for that part.