• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gibbo GTI

My Email Conversation With Gaz Supension

Gibbo GTI

I've recently been in touch with GAZ Suspension to see which poundage springs they recommended for my track cars setup. I have included the full email trail below for reference.

Hello,

I am looking at buying the GHA Coilover kit for my Peugeot 205 GTI. The car is only used for trackdays, it has a seam welded bodyshell, roll cage and the rear suspension has 24mm torsion bars and a 24mm anti roll bar. It has the slightly heavier 2.0 MI16 engine fitted as well. What length and poundage springs do you recommend for the coilovers?

Regards,

Jason Gibson

Jason,

What type of tyres are you going to be using & is the car driven on the road.

Regards,

Mark

Hello Mark,

The car won’t be used on the road. Tyres will either be full slicks or track day road legal slicks.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

The GHA kit is more for fast road & the odd track day & isn't really upto the job of running with full slicks as the piston setup won't cope very well so we could either build you a GHA kit but have a fixed damping front coilover strut & adjustable rear damper or you can go for the Gaz Gold setup which has been developed for motorsport & is currently being used in the PBMWC,Porsche Club,Golf Cup,Britcar etc.The tyre type will alter the spring rates as you would have to run the car alot stiffer if you run full slicks.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

In reality I’ll be running track day tyres like R888’s for 99% of the time. It would have been nice to run full slicks from time to time but this is only an occasional track day toy. What would I be looking at for the custom GHA kit? Would the standard GHA kit be ok with running the likes of R888 tyres?

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

The normal GHA kit will be ok & you will need around 400lbs front springs, this kit will cost you £425.00 + carriage & vat.

Regards,

Mark

Hope this is of use.

Batfink

Seems about the right place to start. Certainly I found 280lb springs too soft with AO48's for track use and that was without a cage.