• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
The Arch Bishop

Oh Ar$e.

The Arch Bishop

I decided to check out the excess movement on my rear bumper this evening and after an hour of shearing bolts and swearing at it it finally came off. What I was left with was pretty much what I feared and expected. The bumper mounts had sheared from the body...

rust_horror_1.jpg

rust_horror_2.jpg

Rust_horror_3.jpg

And what was left on the bumper itself...

Rust_horror_4.jpg

On the plus side, the rest of the metal-work was a lot better than I thought it was going to be....

Rust_horror_5.jpg

I have never welded in my life, I have none of the tools necessary to effect a repair on this and wouldn't know where to start. I also have no trailer so moving it to a repairer is not an option, so I'm a bit stuck! Is there such thing as mobile welders? Alternatively, does anyone know someone decent who could do the work in the Burgess-Hill area? There are plenty of body-shops around here but I don't know whether any of them are any good especially with fabricating new bumper mounts.

Any help or advice you can give would be great!

Edited by The Arch Bishop

Henry Yorke

You'll be perfectly find driving it with no rear bumper during the day as long as you show the rear plate.

It looks like you could possibly pop rivet it back on with a plate joining the two. If it has snapped off then the chances are the metal will have fatigued anyway so would need some extra adding

The Arch Bishop

I would but it's currently SORN as there was a myriad of other problems that would cause an MOT fail at the moment! The bits left on the bumper are little more than tin-foil thin so they'll certainly not be worth using again. Really looking for a proper repair at this point as the rest of the car is very solid and I'm looking to do a good bit of freshening up.

Am I right in thinking this is not an MOT fail in its own right? At worst I could slap the bumper back on (it was still very solidly attached) for an MOT next spring and get it looked at then.

jackherer

You need the rear number plate to be illuminated for the MOT.

The Arch Bishop

And the rear fog light also, but I'd use the remaining fixing points to remount the bumper. It's more the lack of side supports that I was concerned with with regards to passing the MOT.

A look on service-bollox shows that a repair panel for the one side only is available (which itself is wonderfully French) but I'm guessing that the other side would have to made up by reversing a template?

miamichris

Read this, Jrod has done this and has the template made for it.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=123257

The exact same thing happened to me when I was stripping my gti for paint, I haven't got round to making the new panels yet though! Both panels are now NLA from peugeot, a few people have asked, me included.

Edited by miamichris

The Arch Bishop

Ah brilliant! That's a step in the right direction! I've PM'd him for the details.

Wish Pug would NLA stuff if they no longer have it. Was going to order this tomorrow!

Thanks very much all. If anyone local wants to earn some money/beer welding this, I'd be sorted but it looks a total pig of a job!

The Arch Bishop

I've found a welder, but Jrod hasn't got the template any more, so I've put a wanted ad up for the sections here

My fingers are firmly crossed!

johno_78

If the car is insured, you can drive it to the repair shop even though it has no MOT, as you are having work done for it to pass the test.

The Arch Bishop

Well, I'm no further forward with this. In fact, perhaps, a few steps further back! A poke with a sturdy screw-driver ended in holes on both sides. The whole section is shot and with no replacements available I'm starting to think I'm looking towards scrapping it. Seems stupid that these small sections means writing off an otherwise very tidy non-sunny shell but I don't know what to do with it now!

If I could get the sections, I could get it sorted so if anyone can help or knows where I could get the sections made up or anything at all (even an encouraging word would do right now), I'd be beyond ecstatic!

The Arch Bishop

I know mate! Wish I could weld and panel beat, but that ain't gonna happen! This doesn't look like a good place to learn either! I can't believe that no one is making the panels. This seems to be a really common place for them to go now and you'd think someone would have filled a gap in the market! No one that has made some up seems to have kept the template either!

Obey_R

Just keep on the look out for either a 205 in a scrappy near your or on here for someone to break a shell. I don't think it's worth scrapping the shell for, not if it's as tidy as you make out!

I can't weld or panel beat either and the money I've spent from Day 1 getting this 205 on the road I could have bought a perfect one, but it's half the fun learning about them and just keeping another one on the road!

The Arch Bishop

Scrapping it would be the last thing I want to do. It was an utter shed when I bought it and I spent months re-wiring, re-plumbing and so on and finally got it on the road. It even got me to my wedding on time last June! I love the fecking thing but it's really depressing when you can't see a way forward.

A guy on here very kindly sent me the sections that attach to the bumper, but now I need the whole panel and it seems there's not many that have these sections intact. I could take it to a bodyshop but I'd have to hire a trailer and a tow-car to get it there even before I start shelling out for the fabrication and welding work to be done.

And yes, I realise I'm winging like a little b1tch!

Anthony
A guy on here very kindly sent me the sections that attach to the bumper, but now I need the whole panel and it seems there's not many that have these sections intact. I could take it to a bodyshop but I'd have to hire a trailer and a tow-car to get it there even before I start shelling out for the fabrication and welding work to be done.

So long as it's insured, you should be able to drive it there - it's legal to drive for pre-arranged repairs required for an MOT even if you don't have MOT/tax

Jrod

B)

I wouldn't consider scrapping it. Just get to a scrappy and find a base model with the panels intact. It's what I did.

You don't really even need to weld the panels in imo, they are only spot welded as standard which you could just replace with rivets imo!

BERTMAN

if your really stuck, id go to a scrappy, cut the sections you need and get it too a body repair shop. And if you dont want to drive it, you can just try anyone who might have a recovery truck. I went to my local scrappy and asked if they would move my car for me on the back of a transit recovery truck they had, cost me £10.

Mart Pug

No, can't scrap it just for that mate, there's gotsa be a solution! (that's my encouraging word!)

The Arch Bishop

Ok ok, I won't scrap it then! The common concensous seems to be stop being a big girls blouse and get on with it which is fair play.

I'll take a trip to the local scrappy and pray they have something in in good nick. Any idea what tool I need to take with me? I have an angle grinder with some cutting discs but scrappies aren't known for having power-points around their sites!

Similarly, if anyone else finds anything worth chopping off when they're on their travels and can remove it, please do and I'll ensure it's worth their while!

Cheers for the encouraging words as well!

Jrod

An angle grinder will take a fair bit of work!

Most places will have oxy acet and do it for you. Mine cost me £20.

weld020.jpg

Then you can take your time with the angle grinder. :lol:

Edited by Jrod

The Arch Bishop
:blink: Yes, I see that would take some work!! Good advice there as I didn't know they would cut sections for you! Feeling a little more positive about it now so thanks to all!

cRaig

Just get on with it! :(

My 205 had a new quarter panel, two wings, boot, two headlamp panels, crossmember under the rad AND this part that you are on about as well!

Try and get a decent one from a scrappy, or find a reasonable bodyshop to sort it out, it really shouldnt be that expensive :blink:

dscn2164g.th.jpg

dscn2165s.th.jpg

(mine is possibly an extreme example of this repair.. :P)

maturin23

The Ford boys would be laughing at us - the level of corrosion on your shell would consitute "concours condition" if it was a Mk2 Essy!

The Arch Bishop

Yes, I know I'm being a bell-end about it! Just gets a bit depressing every now and then. I WILL get it sorted... Promise!