• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jake_GTI

Help!

Jake_GTI

i'm fairly new to the 205 thing, have only had my car 11 months and haven't really played with it at all! few repairs here and there but nothing major!

just went through its mot but there were a few advisories, how hard and what do i need to do to sort them, advice please?

free play in the steering system (11mm)

ns r & os f shock absorbers have slight misting of oil

f brakes only just met the brake imbalance requirements (imbalance 18%)

os f&r brakes binding

both rear upper inner arches corroding

i am desperate to keep the car on the road as i love it immensly, your help is appreciated,

cheers

Anthony
free play in the steering system (11mm)

Replace/tigthen whatever part has the play in it, be it the rack, UJ, TRE or whatever. Slightly surprised it passed with a significant amount of play in it though, as play in the steering is normally something that testers are (rightly) strict on!

ns r & os f shock absorbers have slight misting of oil

Potentially this isn't an issue, or potentially means new shocks - difficult to say without knowing how bad it is (and being sure that it's coming from the shocks and not splatter from something else seeing as it's on the same side rather than same axle)

f brakes only just met the brake imbalance requirements (imbalance 18%)

os f&r brakes binding

These are potentially the same issue, but again, hard to pinpoint the cause - could be perished lines, could be worn/siezed calipers, etc. Certainly it's enough to suggest that a complete overhaul/check of the braking system is needed though.

both rear upper inner arches corroding

Depends on the extent of the issue, exactly where the corrosion is (as it's not a common issue I'm aware of, but I don't tend to do much with the early non-glavanised cars) and how deep your pockets are as to how to fix it, or whether indeed it needs fixing. Corrosion could mean the faintest whiff of surface rust, or could be such that it'll disintegrate if you so much as look at it in the wrong way.