• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

If It Was Your Rallye, What Beam Would You Put On!?

allye

As per the title really, as apart of my rebuild I will be putting on a rebuilt beam (def not standard!) Would you go for a 1.9 or 1.6GTI rear beam?

I'd always thought I would just go for a 1.6 beam as its the same width as a standard beam (isn't it!?) with bigger drums and bars etc

However I do like the thought of discs on the back, a lot easier to maintain but a little wider (how much?)

Intended use is just fast road daily driver.

What would YOU DO!??

Thanks, Ali

Edited by allye

NeilGTi85

I would go with a 1.6 beam.

I did on my old S16 205 (1.6 Shell), the drums were fine for fast road.

jord294

i'd go for the 1.6 spec beam aswell :)

allye

Seems sensible, I'v read ages ago about a couple of rally 205's actually converting to drums as thet are better for hand brake turns!? Not that I will be doing that of course.

Ali

welshpug

if they ever sit for any period of time, drums seem to resist corrosion far better ;)

also wheel bearings are a hell of a lot cheaper, as are wheel cylinders, just the drum itself that costs a bit more than a disc.

I "think" a 1.6 beam sits wider than a base model as the drums are wider, but not by a large amount.

boombang
Seems sensible, I'v read ages ago about a couple of rally 205's actually converting to drums as thet are better for hand brake turns!? Not that I will be doing that of course.

Ali

I did on my old car!

Discs are so much easier in most ways, but short of fitting a hydraulic handbrake, drums are far more effective for playing around!

blessed6383

correct me if im wrong but aren't both 1.6 and 1.9 beams the same width and i just the stub axle length different?

boombang

yup, but think people getting at the gti drum assembly being wider than the non-gti drum assembly, therefore the actual track widens with 1.6 gti setup.

If this is true, I've no idea!

Also no idea if 1.6 drums make beam exactly same width as 1.9 disc setup.

Edited by boombang

backroadpug

I myself would go for a 1.6 as drums are 100 times better for h/braking round tight hair pins. ;)

Altho 1.9 with the discs does give you some extra stopping power.

jackherer
Altho 1.9 with the discs does give you some extra stopping power.

They're both limited by the compensator(s) ultimately so there is no difference in stopping power.

BERTMAN

id go for discs, the reasoning being i change brake pads, and discs more than i do handbrake turns :P

ps - and drums are so fugly

Edited by BERTMAN

allye

Haha, indeed drums don't look very good, also when your talking to some one........ no its only got drums on the back not like the 1.9GTI!......

Cameron

My 205 had drums on it until very recently, but that's only because it took me so long to get hold of the bits to convert it! :P

If I were you and I had the option, I'd go for discs any day. They may not handbrake as well as drums but they do everything else better, not to mention a much better (and cheaper) choice of aftermarket pads.