• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

Brakes Won't Bleed.

Masekwm

Hello,

I'm thinking the way to fix this is with a eezibleed.

At the final stages of my gti6 conversion, the car had been stood for a while when I bought it as a shell, the brake system was empty and I found the rear brake pipe disconnected when I went to bleed them last weekend.

I filled the reservoir up, refitted the pipe and tried to bleed them. Nothing.

Changed the Master Cylinder, nothing. Took off the brake pipes, and made sure the MC was pumping fluid out. It is.

I still can't get any fluid moving anywhere, front or rear. I know nothing about the history of the car so is it possible the lines have collapsed or something?

Is the answer to buy an Eezibleed and try and force through fluid and then rebleed them again? So the lines are cleaned of any old crap?

Thanks

Keith

Cameron

How were you bleeding them? Were you starting with the furthest from the master cylinder?

It can be a pain in the arse sometimes and an Eezibleed does make it a lot easier as you can crack off the bleed nipples one by one until you get some fluid coming out and go from there. If the whole system is full of air it can be very difficult to start getting the fluid flowing through.

sport1901966

Have you tried taking off the flexi lines and pushing fluid through? I've had flexi lines looking fine on the outside give up before.

Masekwm

Cameron - Tried back first got no fluid, then tried the front and got no fluid. My mate had a look today and he thinks it's just moving air around the pipes and not the fluid.

Sport - It started as a 1.6 so has solid lines to the hubs, don't think there is any flexi? And then Miles hoses on the front.

Guess the eezibleed is the way forward.

smithy
Cameron - Tried back first got no fluid, then tried the front and got no fluid. My mate had a look today and he thinks it's just moving air around the pipes and not the fluid.

Sport - It started as a 1.6 so has solid lines to the hubs, don't think there is any flexi? And then Miles hoses on the front.

Guess the eezibleed is the way forward.

the flexi pipes go from floor to bracket by shocker on the 1.6.

i have had very similar issues with mine recently turned out my master was U/S changed that still no joy,i found the flexi at rear was blocked.

after being stood for many years like yours the system had got moisture and crap in it causing the blockage.

try cracking pipe before the rear flexi's just above beam on N/S see if you can get any fluid there also crack pre flexi's on the front to check.

Masekwm

Ah thanks, found them :)

Bought an eezibleed today, managed to bleed the front right but the others won't play ball. Got the front left weeping slightly but not pushing through. Going to try cleaning up the ends of the metal lines with a wire brush and then stripping backwards towards the MC.

tony perks

An old trick we used to use on some fiats with hydraulic clutch, was to run a pipe from the front bleed nipple to the clutch nipple, as the reservoir is shared the fluid recirculates you could try linking the back nipple to the front nipple, watch for air bubbling in the reservoir, when it stops close the nipples, and bleed as normal< BUT do not drive the car fora baout a day after let the air disipate rise to the top of the reservoir!!

M@tt

Could you undo all the pipes from the m/c, crack open all the bleed nipples and then using a plastic syringe inject fluid into each of the pipes one at a time

smithy
Could you undo all the pipes from the m/c, crack open all the bleed nipples and then using a plastic syringe inject fluid into each of the pipes one at a time

I tried using a pela pump to force fluid from M/C to bleed nipples and also tried sucking from bleed nipples without success,the flexi had blocked due to corrosion in the metal ends,used some lock wire to feed through and clear brakes then bleed ok once got good pedal and was sure all ok I changed the flexi and re bleed.

As OP has managed to bleed only 1 it sounds like blocked flexis to me try Cracking the unions going in to the flexi's to see If you can get any fluid there

Masekwm

I ended up starting at the beam and working back, the compensator was knackered. Waiting for another to arrive now, but managed to snap a rear nipple in the process. Such a better design to just swap the cylinder than the caliper!

Got both fronts bled finally, I had loads of air in the system.

Cameron

Ah right, if the compensator is nackered it could be sending little or no pressure to the rears, which would make them very hard to bleed! Get that swapped and try again. You need to bleed brakes starting with the furthest calliper from the master cylinder, which would be the nearside rear (on a RHD). Bleed that first, then move on to OSR, then NSF, then OSF. Once you've bled them all pump the pedal - it should be very firm - then go back round and bleed them again to get all the little bubbles that will appear out. If the pedal still feels soft then you need to keep going round and getting all the air out, it can take a few attempts to get it 100%!

Oh and keep an eye on your MC levels when you're bleeding, you don't want it to run dry!

stuart1298

i had the same problem, are the bleed nipples on the bottom or top of the caliper, they are meant to be on top, somehow i managed to get mine facing down, all i done was, unbolted the bottom calliper bolt, losened the top and spun the caliper round, bled fine then.

Masekwm

Well this is fun...

New compensator arrived.

I bled some fluid from the pipe before it, good.

Fitted compensator, bled some fluid, fitted the pipe, went to the beam, no fluid.

Removed the pipe from the compensator, no fluid, bled again and fluid, refitted the pipe and tried to bleed the rears, nothing!

Took off the eezibleed, and used the pedal and bled the rears. Odd!

Went to drive out of the garage, started engine, pedal goes to the floor.

Going to rebleed as I've not bled them the correct way with all the messing about.

gowmonster
Well this is fun...

New compensator arrived.

I bled some fluid from the pipe before it, good.

Fitted compensator, bled some fluid, fitted the pipe, went to the beam, no fluid.

Removed the pipe from the compensator, no fluid, bled again and fluid, refitted the pipe and tried to bleed the rears, nothing!

Took off the eezibleed, and used the pedal and bled the rears. Odd!

Went to drive out of the garage, started engine, pedal goes to the floor.

Going to rebleed as I've not bled them the correct way with all the messing about.

i'm having this problem with my 106 with no compensator, car has sat with the bleed nipples open at some point so the system only has air in it.

I'm thinking perhaps if i detach the brake pipes at the Master cylinder and put bolts in the MC pipes, I can pressurise one line at a time.

logical?

Edited by gowmonster