• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mogsman

Handbrake Cable To Drum Back Plate

mogsman

Hi all, Im replacing the cables but can't get the cable end to fit back into the drum back plate. I had to tap out the old one but the knurled part won't go in. Is there an easy way to do this without damaging the metal cable end?

Ian

steve@cornwall
Hi all, Im replacing the cables but can't get the cable end to fit back into the drum back plate. I had to tap out the old one but the knurled part won't go in. Is there an easy way to do this without damaging the metal cable end?

Ian

Fit it all up as best you can then pull up the handbrake! Will at least get it started then tap it home with a drift.

mogsman

I'll start putting it back together and see what happens. One side is almost in, the other is nowhere near. Hopefully the handbrake lever will help.

Ian

miamichris

Have you loosened the 13mm adjuster nut under the handbrake surround cover to slacken the cables up?

mogsman

They are brand new cables to go on. I fitted everything back on and both sides on the handbrake are working, but I still can't get the one side into the back plate fully. I tried using a screwdriver as a drift which didn't work. What else would be a suitable drift which wouldn't mash up the ferrule?

Ian

steve@cornwall
They are brand new cables to go on. I fitted everything back on and both sides on the handbrake are working, but I still can't get the one side into the back plate fully. I tried using a screwdriver as a drift which didn't work. What else would be a suitable drift which wouldn't mash up the ferrule?

Ian

Open ended spanner- spreads the load over 3/4 of the surface

Edited by steve@cornwall

mogsman

I've managed to do it with a flat end punch. I had to hit it quite hard working around the edge. I thought it should just push in! Its all back together and now I have a working brake drum.

Ian

miamichris

Maybe when you knocked the old one out you damaged the metal around the hole, which was stopping the new one going in? :D

Seems strange as they should just push in. You could have taken a round file and filed the hole out a bit, thats probably what I'd have done.

welshpug

the metal ones can be quite tight in the holes, especially with some corrosion.

mogsman

I did use a round file to remove any corrosion. My problem is that I don't like to use to much brute force on the car. I usually worry that I might break something.

Ian