• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blessed6383

Rear Copper Brake Lines

blessed6383

right bought some copper brake pipe and the flaring tool (cheap s**t from ebay) now i can just about get the crap clap to hold it to make the female flared bit although the tool (clamp) is crap and does not hold very well, now how do you make the male ended bit that is needed for the short rear brake line? any ideas welcome as im at a loss :)

Daviewonder

Is it not a 2 stage job to make the female end? To make a male end is just the first stage of the female end? (IIRC)

P.s while we're on the subject of brakes..... :)

Anthony

What style of flairing tool do you have, as the technique varies depending on which one?

blessed6383

pm'd mate.

1st time i've tryed making brake lines in all the yeas work in garages never had to do it :) tryed looking on you tube but only show the flared female end so im lost :D

Anthony

Same style as I've got:

1. Check that you've got 3/16" copper pipe and 10x1 male unions
  2. Place the 10x1 union onto the pipe, threads facing the end of the pipe
  3. Ensuring that the copper pipe is straight and has a straight, clean cut end, clamp it tightly with the clamp with the end sitting proud by around 5mm or so
  4. Place the 3/16" die in the end
  5. Screw the die down into the pipe with the flairing tool until it bottoms out or won't go any further, ensuring that it goes down square
  6. Unscrew the flairing tool and check that the flair on the copper pipe looks good, and then release it from the clamp
  7. Cut the pipe to length, and repeat for the other end

Easy once you've got the hang of it :)

blessed6383

cheers mate will try that :)

smithy

That's the type I got found it took a bit of trial and error to get a decent flare,I also found the pipe tried to push through the tool when flaring I just put pipe in the next hole down but did not do clamp up as tight,it held the pipe in firmer when flaring.I just had to use some emery on pipe to flat the lines down so union would move freely.