• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Cleaning My Calipers

Obey_R

Just taken off the calipers to clean them. They're still together, as in the slider and the piston etc so what is the best way to clean them? Does it matter if all the seals get wet as long as they're not under pressure - so a tooth brush and hot soapy water. Or can I put them in the sink and give them a good scrub without doing the seals any harm?

Oh also, should I be able to pull the piston out with a pair of pliars whilst it's off the car? Or does it mean mine has seized.

swordfish210

Use Duck Oil, it won't rot the seals and is really good at taking the dirt off.

GTI6BOY

You can pull the piston out but its quite hard, i use a foot pump to pump it out. You will also strugle to get the piston back in on the old seals as they seem to be sloppy when old

Obey_R

Is it relativly easy to refurb the calipers? Can get new ones for £33 each side but can't find much on here about refurbishing them...

mickie

alloy wheel cleaner is all i'd use, that would get all the dirst and brake dust off them