• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jord294

Brand New Mi16 Engines

jord294

hi guys

after some advice please

has anyone in the past, bought a supposedly 'brand new' mi16 engine from someone, only to find it was a citroen block with low compression, and a re-worked head?

i've had an interesting conversation today with someone, who reckons i should be very wary of said engine

the engines in question, came from a company in the scotland area

any advice appreciated

thankyou

jackherer

There was a large batch of unused low compression XU9J4Z engines that became available through several suppliers two or three years ago. Including the Scottish company I think you are referring to, they had quite a lot of them IIRC.

jord294
There was a large batch of unused low compression XU9J4Z engines that became available through several suppliers two or three years ago. Including the Scottish company I think you are referring to, they had quite a lot of them IIRC.

so really i should steer clear?

after all, it's not exactly what i would hope it would be

Baz

They're just the low comp DFW versions rather than our D6C's.

A few members have or had them fitted, I'm not sure that there's many left though tbh, Matt/QEP were selling thier ex-display one not so long ago.

Tom Fenton

Where are these available, and at what cost? Sound ideal for turbocharging to me......

Anthony

AFAIK, the engines themselves were fine and that I'm aware of, were exactly what they claimed to be - new and unused XU9J4Z engines.

I believe that the Mi16 that Superjosh on here used to have was one of these engines.

From what I recall, the problems stemed from the fact that some of the engines were damaged in either storage or transit, and hence the company I believe you're talking about offered to strip, check and rebuild them. I can't remember exact details of what the problem was now though, but a search might reveal something about them - QEP had atleast a couple of the engines (one of which was on display in their reception area and looked absolutely as-new) so Mattsav may have posted about them.

jord294

but the way i see it, it's not your more common mi16, which a majority of people would prefer, and is what i would of been hoping for :lol:

i believe cRaig now has the engine that superjosh owned

Baz

He did but it was for sale, whether or not he's sold it yet i don't know.

cRaig

I still have the said engine (SuperJosh's old one) as far as I know the one I have is a fairly original/untouched Mi16 low comp DFW so should be around 145-150bhp?

Im not familiar with the specific history of a scottish company being invoved with them..

Edited by cRaig

Anthony
but the way i see it, it's not your more common mi16, which a majority of people would prefer, and is what i would of been hoping for :lol:

Not that hard to change it to 160hp XU9J4 spec, although it will mean a partial stripdown to do so.

Tom Fenton

Is it just the pistons that are different? Or deck height?

cRaig
Is it just the pistons that are different? Or deck height?

From what I remember its only pistons and the pulleys that are different..

jord294
Not that hard to change it to 160hp XU9J4 spec, although it will mean a partial stripdown to do so.

thanks anthony

not what i really want to do. was hoping not to spend more than necessary on the conversion :lol:

cRaig

To quote SuperJosh when he sold me the engine:

"The engine made 155bhp on the rollers with 3 row management, K&N and the 4-2-1 maniflow manifold." So to be honest thats close enough for me :lol:

allanallen

it is just the pistons that are different as far as i am aware.

If said scottish company has stripped/checked and rebuilt them I would not touch them with a barge pole.

jord294
To quote SuperJosh when he sold me the engine:

"The engine made 155bhp on the rollers with 3 row management, K&N and the 4-2-1 maniflow manifold." So to be honest thats close enough for me :lol:

was that at the wheels though?

my 8v currently runs 155@flywheel and around 134@wheels

Anthony

The book figure for a DFW is 148hp from memory, so Josh's old engine 155hp with a better manifold and a bit of dyno optimism sounds about right. That would be about 130hp@wheels I'd guess, give or take.

I don't know the spec of your 8v, but if it's the Skip Brown one you've mentioned previously, I'd take their rolling road figures with a very big pinch of salt...

Baz

What spec is that?

Baz
I don't know the spec of your 8v, but if it's the Skip Brown one you've mentioned previously, I'd take their rolling road figures with a very big pinch of salt...

A "very big pinch"??!!!! A "shovel's worth" would be more appropriate... :lol:

Edited by Baz

jord294

it's not a figure i've pulled from the air guys, honest :lol:

fully blue-printed and lighted with head work and cam

i believe there is more advanced headwork that could be done, but i think it's just for motorsport spec cars

marksorrento205
it's not a figure i've pulled from the air guys, honest :P

I think they are trying to say sb rollers may not be as accurate as they could be :lol:

Alastairh
it is just the pistons that are different as far as i am aware.

If said scottish company has stripped/checked and rebuilt them I would not touch them with a barge pole.

Dino use to refer to them as lowflow...

Miles

The engine's for what they where are very good as you cannot buy anything like that, Nice shiny plated bolts etc and very smooth in running to name a few, yes they maybe lowcomp but I would say better than all these 80k miles 160bhp engine's

I know the RR figures that Josh had where about right as the day in Andover was pretty good and allot of people had lower than average figures.

jord294
happy days
as a friend of mine would say :lol:

i have learnt that the engine i will be getting is actually the d6c mi16

this engine has been totally stripped and then rebuilt using new parts :lol:

thanks for the input guys ;)

Edited by jord294

Daz_C
i have learnt that the engine i will be getting is actually the d6c mi16

this engine has been totally stripped and then rebuilt using new parts :D

thanks for the input guys :unsure:

Will you be running standard managment or bodies/carbs ?

If you are presently running an Sbc 1.9s I'd personally stick with that unless your modding the 16v.

From my own experience from owning both variants and having lots of fun on track with the 1.9s, it'll be hard to beat unless your going big(ish) power with the Mi.