• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Mi16 Pas Pipes

smokey

Hiya Guys

I've been fitting the PAS steering pipes today before the engine goes in and have fitted the high pressure pipe which goes from the rack to the pump and this is a MI16 one so fits ok.

Just wondering if i have it in the engine bay correctly?

Here is a picture of the bay:

IMG_1332.jpg

Also the low pressure pipe which i also got with the Mi16 pipe doesn't screw in too well due to the thread on the pipe bolt. I do however still have the original 205 pipe (well part of it, see picture above) and was wondering if i could cut the Mi16 pipe to remove the pipe bolt and then connect this to the 205 low pressure pipe which is currently still connected to the PAS rack.

Here is a picture of the Mi16 low pressure pipe

IMG_1333.jpg

Probably an obvious one but thought i had better check before cutting things up.

Thanks

smokey

Can anyone help?

I've searched on here but nothing has really helped me, apart from knowing that Mi16 or Diesel pipes need to be used. Which i am doing.

Just want to make sure i have it installed correctly and if i can do a cut and shut job on the low pressure return pipe?

Thanks

welshpug

would imagine that you need to use the diesel pipes, as the "mi16" are from a 405 and could be quite different due to the position of the rack and the shapes of the subframe.

Afraid I don't know as I've only worked on non pas conversions

Anthony

The high-pressure pipe doesn't look at all right to me.

I can't remember if the Mi16 PAS pipe is the same, but certainly the 1.9 8v PAS that I recently did ran the pipe behind and along the back of the rack. However, judging from the photo and my memory of the 8v pipe, the Mi16 solid pipe isn't the same shape - is that how it came, or did you bend it about a bit to fit?

Should be no problem removing the low-pressure hose from the solid pipe and putting the longer 205 one on there - it's only a return, so not running at any pressure of note (unlike the high pressure pipe, which runs at considerable pressure)

James_m

I'm assuming your running the pump on top of the gearbox? agree with Anthony, that pipe is wrong, it goes behind and runs in line with the back of the subframe.

Be careful with your timing belt with this kind of power steering, consider running more tension, I didnt and one cold morning the drag on the pump on full lock caused the belt to jump a few teeth resulting in bent valves...

smokey

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yeah my feeling was that it wasn't right too. The Mi16 pipes came like that. I bought them off a guy on here. One of Dr Sartys mates when they had some Mi's they were breaking.

I've taken the pipes off the rack for the moment and have connected them up on the floor like this:

IMG_1339.jpg

I think they are correct.

So it might just be a matter of bending the pipe to fit along the rack?

Thanks again